T W E N T Y F O U R

Start from the beginning

Nick lays on his back and I lay my head on his chest. The steady thump-thump-thump so different from Noah's wild heartbeat earlier. I have to fight to keep unwarranted tears at bay. Him throwing the L word at me after he actively didn't choose me broke something inside of me. Something that didn't break when I lost him the first time. Something I don't think I'll ever get back.

"I hope Noah doesn't dissuade you from moving here," Nick says softly, running his fingers through my hair.

"Noah doesn't control my decisions, as much as he would like to," I reply, irritated, I didn't want to talk about Noah.

"So, is there something there, still?" Nick asks hesitantly. I don't blame him for wanting to know, I do blame him from bringing this up right now.

"I loved him once," I start, "I might still. It doesn't change the timing."

"What about me?" He asks, a hint of a joke in his voice.

"It's a little early for love," I grin, "but I like you."

"So, you're saying there's a chance?"

"Definitely a chance," I mumble, my voice heavy with sleep. I feel Nick's lips on my head before sleep pulls me under.

When I wake, my bladder is about to bust. I sneak out of Nick's bed and out of his hold to go to the bathroom. The guys in the living room are gone, but no one seems to be up and moving. I grab a bottle of water and take long drinks. I rummage around a little, finding coffee and some things to make breakfast. I put the coffee on first and start cracking eggs. I don't know exactly how many people are still here so I make the whole pack, toast, bacon. And then I place an Instacart order to refill the items in case they were meant for a special occasion. I'm pouring myself a cup of coffee when I hear someone shuffle in behind me.

I turn to find Noah standing in the entrance to the kitchen, his eyes darken when his eyes land on my legs, but they turn to rage when he sees that I'm wearing Nick's shirt.

"Why don't you make yourself at home?" Noah says sarcastically, pouring his own cup of coffee.

Without thinking I grab a handful of eggs and throw them at his face. Some of the chunks land there, some stick to the wall behind him. He looks at me incredulously, while one of the egg pieces slides off his face and lands in his coffee.

"What the fuck, Delaney?"

"This is why we can't be friends, you're unreasonable," I retort, moving passed him to clean the eggs off the wall, because I'm not a monster. "I made breakfast, you're welcome."

Nick appears around the corner a second later, his eyes bounce between us before moving over to me and kissing my cheek. My eyes close involuntarily, and when I open them Noah's face is red with anger, a vein is protruding from his forehead and I'm worried he might explode.

"Thanks for breakfast," Nick says, ignoring Noah's rage. "Noah, why are you wearing the eggs?"

"Everyone's new BFF is a psychopath," Noah replies, not taking his eyes off of me. Nick chuckles as he makes two plates, I don't realize one is for me until he looks at me pointedly and I quickly sit by him.

"What are you doing today?" Nick asks, resting his hand on my knee. I don't know if he's trying to make Noah mad, or if he just doesn't care.

"Recovering," I groan, gingerly eating the toast. "I don't have anything planned until New Years."

I can still see Noah watching us out of the corner of my eye, the doorbell rings and Noah goes to answer it.

"Did you order Instacart?" he asks me, holding up a bag.