𝙷𝚒𝚍𝚍𝚎𝚗 𝙵𝚒𝚕𝚎𝚜: 𝙼𝚒𝚛𝚛𝚘𝚛𝚎𝚍 𝙻𝚎𝚌𝚝𝚞𝚛𝚎𝚜

After Chapter 18 of Noroi

It wasn't easy at all.

Chiyo was aware of where he stood. Ten years ago, he decided he would support (F/n) with whatever she wanted to do. That included allowing her to choose for herself who she wanted by her side. She chose. It was Gojo Satoru, and there was no doubt this junior would treasure that girl more than his own life.

It should be expected, but...

"You're drinking." Shoko's slow, hesitant words brought Chiyo back to his rationality. The man sat by the receiving area of Shoko's laboratory. A bottle of hard liquor rested on the wooden table, the complementary glass in between her upperclassman's fingers.

The man chuckled, somewhat bitter and painful, before disguising it by clearing his throat. His other hand went on to shield his eyes from the light, thumb resting on his temple. Then that hand ran down his face, hints of frustration bound to his every movement. "Ah. Shoko-chan."

Her name came out of his lips rough and unrefined. That was probably the first time she witnessed him off his usual handsome manners. No sweet tone, no honeyed voice, no polite gestures. Chiyo looked exhausted.

Before Shoko could assess the situation properly, what to do and what not to, she found herself snatching the glass off his hand and placing it on the table with a thud. "You sound sick! Why are you drinking?"

This man really had a way of getting into him like no one else could.

"That's rude," Chiyo commented in a low, but lighthearted tone. It seemed he did not mind at all. He heaved a deep breath and released it slowly, but that did not help his head out of his dilemma. "Hah... Fuck."

(F/n) was happy now. He should be, too- for her. But what had gotten him so distressed? He was parting with the girl he considered his own sister. But the distrustful pit in his stomach openly hated that idea. Emptiness crawled up his fingertips as he reached for the glass again.

Sure, Chiyo liked drinking, but this might just be the first time he drank for the the sake of getting his mind off something. His head was a cruel place. He wanted to do something, but he had no idea what.

What was even there to do?

Did he want that girl to stay with him?

The man scowled at his incredulous thoughts. He couldn't imagine being with her either. So what was it that's putting him on edge?

Shoko watched as her senior downed another glass. That bottle costed a fortune- one that's usually opened during special occasions. In contrary, Chiyo's expression did not look anything celebratory. "What's going on?"

What's going on was him.

Just him. Something was wrong with him. Chiyo devoted his whole life protecting that girl for the sake of his binding vow with her father. He had given ten years of his life, the whole clan down with him, and his hands soiled by his brother's blood to protect her. But now that she'd be someone else's responsibility, he couldn't let go of that nagging impulse to continue looking after her.

It wasn't that easy to adjust.

"Have you ever wanted someone, Shoko-chan?"

The doctor's heart nearly lept out of her chest. She had never talked about her feelings with this man. Of course, she opted it that way. A part of her wasn't prepared to hear about this aspect of Chiyo's life, as well as talk about hers. "W-well."

"Well?"

She snatched a quick breath, hoping the man did not notice. But when he chuckled and smirked at her reaction, Shoko's confidence crumbled. Her head immediately panned to the opposite direction. "I had... few relationships before, but they're just..."