Chapter 6

Cyrus Anders

Cyrus pulled the worn old tie around his neck, trying desperately to get it to stay situated in an orderly manner. Although, he knew that it never would. At least, it hadn’t for the many years that he had tried to get it to. Maybe he should have given up on that particular quest for the perfectly tied tie at that point, but who was he if he was a quitter? Not Cyrus Anders, that was for certain.

He pulled himself away from the small mirror, well aware that he would only end up disappointed yet again by how it looked. It wasn’t the worst it had ever looked on him, at the very least.

“¿Cy, necesitas me hizo esto por ti de nuevo? ¿En serio?” He looked up to see Vara Rodriguez, Jorge’s little sister standing in front of him with a teasing and childish look dancing on her face.

She walked up to him and grabbed the garment in her hands, undoing it and then redoing it all over again. She muttered to him, “¿Cómo lo harás sobrevivir un matrimonio si no sabes vestirte correctamente?” He laughed along with the same joke she told every time.

“Fácil,” He said, “No lo haré casarse.” His same response that he said back to her every time.

She shoved him away, rolling her eyes at his words once she was done with her task. “No si Jude Murphey tiene cualquier opinión en él.”

“Bueno, es una cosa buena ella no lo hace.”  Cyrus scowled at just the mention of the dragonrider.

She turned around and smiled at him once again. She looked stunning, and that fact was obvious. She wore a floor-length pale pink dress that flowed around as she walked but cinched around her waist. He remembered how proud she had been when she had finished sewing it a year ago.

Her hair was tied up into a large bun on top of her head, only a couple stray pieces of her wavy hair flowing down her face, capturing most of her features in the dim lighting of the room. She had always looked so much like her mother, no matter how much she said she detested that fact.

Cyrus liked Mrs. Rodriguez, but he could understand but had caused a riff between both Jorge and Vara, pinning them against their mother. It was a complicated situation that he tended not to bring up.

But if one thing was for certain, it was that Vara’s girlfriend was lucky to have her. Not just for her beauty but also for her incredible intelligence. Cyrus had always thought that she could easily rival him on that basis if she had ever decided that she truly wanted to, but she never had.

“¿Hola, puedo entrar?” Speak of the Devil.

“Si, mi vida. Entrar. Solo necesito poner mis zapatos.” Vara called out as Addy Williams popped her head in the door.

Addy nodded her head at Cyrus as she walked in. She wore a loose white button-up with a large collar, lace at the end of it. Black dress pants barely covered down to her ankles, which wasn’t surprising when the fact that she was over six feet tall was considered. Her bright orange hair flowed down to the middle of her back, the front pieces clipped back. Her green eyes brightened the room as she walked over to her girlfriend. Her black shoes and cane echoed across the floor as she walked.

“¿Cómo estás, mi amor?” She asked in a soft voice. Cyrus looked away from the exchange to grab his satchel bag.

“Estoy bien, mi vida. ¿Escuchaste si mi hermano estaba llegando a la fiesta?” Vara asked back.

“Yo creo. Se perdió los últimos días, pero yo dudé él no haría esto uno. Es la fiesta última antes de que los servicios lleguen y necesitamos empezar a ser adultos jóvenes responsables de nuevo.” She responded.