Epilogue Part Three: Jonah's Birthday

Start from the beginning

About an hour later, Mike gets up again to use the restroom. Instead of staying with Kaylen and our abandoned card game, I slide out of the booth and head over to check on Amber and Todd. When I arrive, they offer me a seat and I politely decline. However, Amber mumbles, "Sit, Josie. We need your opinion on something." 

I sit down and Amber nods over to where Jonah and Carter are sitting down in front of an arcade game that is— and has been— spewing tickets out for several seconds now. The two boys are sitting on either side of a mound of tickets, smiling like idiots and laughing hysterically in between short statements and glances up at the machine. Nothing seems to be out of the ordinary, but Amber seems concerned, and Todd won't look at either of us. 

"What's this about?" I ask, starting to worry. 

A thousand possibilities flash in my mind. Are they mad about Jonah's newly begun relationship with Carter? Are they mad at Carter for some other reason? Did Jonah say something to them? Did Carter? Were the two fighting? Were Amber and Todd fighting? Do they have different opinions about that's going on? What is going on?

"We're thinking about moving, Josie," Amber says after a few long seconds of silence. 

Oh, well yeah, I guess that makes

"Wait, what?" I snap, completely taken aback by this new information. "Why? You said you'd stay here. You just did work on your house!"

"Josephine, if you're not going to act like an adult in this conversation, then you won't be a part of it," Todd mutters sharply, and I turn to him with curses on my lips that I refuse to let go of. 

He's been nice to me. I can't curse him out for making a decision for his own life.

"We did the work to get the house ready to sell," Amber explains, looking down at the bottle of water in front of her. "We don't know how to tell the kids. I mean... Jonah just started this with Carter, Jessie and Willow have so many friends at school, Jupiter's doing great in ballet... the twins are too young to be attached to this place, but the rest of them..." 

"So why move?" I ask, looking from Amber to Todd and then back again. I'm sitting next to Amber in a booth, with Todd across from us. 

"We just want a fresh start," Amber admits. "That old house holds too many memories. I want to wipe them all away and the only way to do that is to get the hell out it." 

"Moving won't make the memories go away," I mutter, trying to be respectful even as images of my father flash in my mind. 

"If it'll at least help, then it's worth it," Amber argues, and I look away from the two of them. "We just need your help, Josie." 

I try to find a way to continue arguing, but I come up emptyhanded. If their family is going to move, then they're going to move. There's nothing I can do about it. Nothing I can do to make them stay. 

So I might as well make it easier for them.

"What can I do?" I ask, looking back at the table but not at Amber and Todd. 

A moment of silence passes, and I prepare myself for the worst.

"Jonah's staying here," Amber says suddenly, and my surprised gaze flicks up to her before I can stop it. "Or, we're giving him the option. Todd and I agreed to rent him an apartment until he gets his feet under him financially. We'll stay until after he graduates so he won't have to worry about school when he moves. If he agrees, we'll find an apartment he can work with and we'll rent it for him. But, we'd like for you to keep him company. Make sure he stays out of trouble." 

"I... I can do that," I reply, nodding slowly. "I'll... he'll be in good hands— not just mine, Kaylen's too. And Mike's. We'll all be there for him."