Chapter 8 - Crown Flipping Conversations

Start from the beginning

Humphrey's eyes grow wide at this explanation and he looks at Dexter with... worry?

"Dex, you know that that is not - nor should be normal, right?" he asks.

"What's not normal?"

"To be that scared of your parents like that," Humphrey explains.

"I'm not scared of them," Dexter reassures him, "Liar," his inside voice said.

Humphrey looked at him, but didn't push the subject, instead saying, "Why would your parents not like Raven? Besides being Eris Queen's daughter, she is actually really nice. Plus, she is an actual princess after all."

"Yeah, but I doubt they would still approve.." Dexter mumbled. Tired of the focus being on him, he asks Humphrey if there are any girls at school that he likes.

Humphrey got a bit nervous and stuttered a bit before finally answering, "Apple White."

Dexter got Mother Goosebumps up his arms but managed to keep his face passive. He gave an awkward laugh and said, "You know she is taken right?"

Humphrey rolled his eyes, "Riiight, like having a strong inclination that Daring is her future 'Prince Charming' and is gonna wake her up is the same as her being 'taken'. Doesn't she know that Daring is flirting with literally every girl that makes eye contact with him? Don't either of them know that that is kind of rude and inconsiderate?"

Dexter blinked at him, "Well, I'm sure that he'll stop doing that when they get married.."

Humphrey rolled his eyes, "If this is how he treats the relationship while they are practically betrothed, then what makes you think he is gonna be any better what they are married?"

Dexter did not think about that. He must have looked uncomfortable because Humphrey seemed to notice and winced.

"Shit - I'm, sorry, sorry, I.. I forgot for a second that that is your brother. I shouldn't have said that. It was mostly just venting, but still not nice to tell you," Humphrey looked at the floor.

"It's... Well, it probably not 'okay', but I understand what you mean and why you would feel that way," Dexter looked to the side, feeling unable to even attempt to look Humphrey in the eyes. His gaze ended up falling on Humphrey's desk that was littered with parchments and action figures displayed above it. Dexter kept his eyes on the action figures.

"I.. I accept your apology, is what I am trying to say. Also.. thanks for alerting me about the behavior you noticed. I... honestly never thought much of it because... because..." "Because Daring can do no wrong while you do everything wrong." "Because.. he's my brother. I guess it is hard to realize when your our family member is doing something wrong."

"Yeah.." Humphrey trailed off.

"For what it's worth," Dexter said looking away from the action figures, really hoped he was able to save this conversation, "Apple also gets flirted with a lot."

"Yeah, but she don't go for it," Humphrey pointed out. Then his face frozen, doing something weird, "Though she has kind of been... different since Legacy Viewing Day."

"You noticed too!"

Humphrey gave him an incredulous look, "I'm pretty sure the whole school has noticed."

"Ah," Dexter said, "Good point."

Humphrey then looked a bit scared, "Has she... Has she said anything about making the Rebel's leave the school?"

Dexter snapped his head around, eyes going wide with shock. "Wha - What?" his voice shook.

Humphrey looked uncomfortable, "Well, there are rumors going around that... Apple is trying to get any student that does not agree with the Royal philosophy to switch their side. There are even rumors of her, uhh, stalking.. some students."