Chapter One

BORN TO DIE
CHAPTER ONE
▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

Tahlia Delacour stood in the elevator, her arms crossed against her chest. She was assigned to protect Padmé Amidala, the senator of Naboo, from an assassin that's been trying to kill her. She was told two other Jedis were assigned to protect her as well, but Tahlia never found out who they were.

The elevator came to a stop and the doors opened, revealing a Gungan on the other side. The creature squealed happily as Tahlia just slightly smiled at him. She followed the Gungan to the living room of the apartment. The moment she stepped inside the room, her entire face fell.

Sitting on one of the sofas was Anakin Skywalker, and sitting beside him was Obi-Wan Kenobi. Now, Tahlia didn't have anything against Obi-Wan. She sees him as an older brother. She despised his padawan. He didn't do anything to her, but she still despised him.

Anakin couldn't stop himself from smirking as he rose from the sofa, making his way to the woman. He stopped in front of her, basically towering over her as the smirk never left his face. Tahlia wanted to smack it right off his face, but she didn't. She just stared up at him with an annoyed gaze as he stared down at her.

"Nice seeing you again, Tahlia." He said, looking her up and down with his eyes before they met hers. "Grown more beautiful since the last time I saw you."

Tahlia ignored him, looking past him to look at Obi-Wan. "You really had to bring him?"

Obi-Wan sighed from his place on the couch. "He's my padawan, Tahlia."

"I know that, but you still could've left him."

Tahlia looked back at Anakin, who was still smirking at her and there was something in his eyes that made her slightly uncomfortable. She walked past him, purposefully bumping his shoulder as she did. Anakin wasn't bothered by it. His gaze just followed her.

A beautiful woman, who Tahlia amused was Padmé, stood up, a warm smile on her face. "Hi. You must be Tahlia."

Tahlia returned the smile. "I am. Nice to meet you."

"Same goes to you. Please sit." Padmé replied, sitting down herself.

Tahlia obeyed, sitting down on the other side of Obi-Wan, crossing one leg over the other. She felt Anakin's gaze on her, but she ignored it.

"I really don't think I need more security." Padmé started, her eyes bouncing between the three Jedi sitting on the opposite sofa. "I want to know who's trying to kill me."

"We are here to protect you, senator, not to start an investigation." Obi-Wan told her calmly.

"Don't worry, Padmé. We'll find who's trying to kill you." Anakin spoke, and Tahlia arched an eyebrow as she leaned forward a bit to look at him.

"We will not exceed our mandate, my young padawan learner." Obi-Wan told him.

"I meant that in the interest of protecting her, Master."

"We will not go through this exercise again, Anakin, and you will pay attention to my lead."

"Why?" Anakin argued, his master shooting him a look of disbelief. "Why else do you think us and Tahlia were assigned to protect her if not to find the killer? Protection is a job for local security, not Jedi. It's overkill, Master. Investigation is implied—"

He made a noise of surprise when one of the sofa pillows was thrown at his face, stopping him from talking. His lips pressed together and he glanced at Tahlia, who was shooting him a 'shut your mouth' look. So he did.

"We will do exactly as the council has instructed." Obi-Wan told his padawan. "And you will learn your place, young one."

"Perhaps with merely your presence the mystery surrounding this threat will be revealed." Padmé spoke, breaking the awkward silence that took over the room. "Now if you'll excuse me, I will retire."

She stood from the sofa and walked away, being followed by her handmaiden. Obi-Wan left with the other two, leaving Tahlia and Anakin alone. She turned her head and saw he was staring at her.

She made a face. "Stop looking at me."

Instead of saying anything, Anakin looked down and stared at the blue carpet as silence fell between the pair. Tahlia started to grow uncomfortable with how quiet it was so she stood up from the sofa, starting to walk away.

"Where are you going?" Anakin asked her, his gaze following after her.

"None of your business." She said without looking back at him.

Anakin remained on the sofa, not stopping the small grin from forming on his face. He stood from the sofa, following her. Tahlia rolled her eyes when he managed to slip inside the elevator before it closed.

She folded her arms, shooting him an irritated look. "I was trying to get away from you."

He smirked. "You're stuck with me now."