Flying with Henry

Pepper sat on the picnic blanket, chatting idly with Natasha. Food and drinks littered the large area where the Avengers were hanging out. Gabriel stood a few feet away, looking at the sky. Henry stood next to him.

No words were said between the two, but there was a nod, and then they were gone.

Gabriel let out a whoop as air bent around his wings and body, causing the trees closest to them to shake. Henry was nothing but a blur, weaving throughout the trees and clouds. Every so often, when they had the momentum, both beings would go down to drag their fingers through the water in the creek, then shoot up like a torpedo into the sky.

Gabriel spun over Henry's form, his dark colored wings brushing against the other's tawny ones teasingly. Henry pushed back at his uncle, tentative amusement flickering through him.

The others watched as Gabriel dashed ahead of Henry, spiraling through the air, before doubling back and tugging at Henry's wings lightly. Henry retaliated by spinning and grabbing hold of Gabriel, wrapping his wings around him and dropping.

The Avengers let out a collective gasp as it happened. Luckily, Henry's wings snapped out before long and he let go. Gabriel shook himself, growled, and turned. Using his own momentum, he grabbed Henry and practically threw him into the clouds.

A pleasant sound filled the air, causing the Avengers to grin.

It was Gabriel. He was laughing! It was loud and gleeful and absolutely infectious. His arms were spread out along with his wings, and he chose that moment to shoot up into the sky after Henry.

Both of them tumbled towards the earth, catching themselves just before they hit the ground. Gabriel shot out over the creek, once again dragging his fingers through the water and rocketing upwards, dragging water with him. He twisted into a spin, the water artfully surrounding him until his wings snapped out, throwing water in all directions.

He laughed again, disappearing into the clouds with Henry on his tail.

Soon, Gabriel and Henry's flight slowed until they were cruising through the clouds. The slowly setting sun was warm on their wings. It was quiet for a while until Gabriel spoke.

"I don't think we've actually ever gone flying together."

"No, we haven't. This is nice."

Gabriel smiled at his nephew, brushing the other's wings with his own. "Yeah. Hell, I haven't gone flying with anyone in a really long time." His eyes softened. "I missed this."

"Yeah." Henry dipped his wings and flew upwards further into the clouds. Gabriel followed, moving ahead of him. With a mischievous grin, Gabriel threw himself into a tight spin, and in a flash of Grace-light, disappeared.

Henry's eyes widened and he slowed to a stop, hovering in the air and looking around him.

"Gabriel?" He called. There was no answer. Vaguely, Henry heard what sounded like high pitched laughter. It was creepy. He snorted. It had to be Gabriel messing with him.

He moved, flicking his wings and gliding forward slowly. His gaze shifted as he flew, seeking the form of his trickster uncle.

Shadows flashed through the clouds, light laughter and weird high-pitched noises following. Henry, still unused to flying with another, began to get slightly nervous. Normally, if he were flying with his wings in the physical plane, shadows and noises like those were not a good sign.

Suddenly, there was a screech and Gabriel came flying out of nowhere, snatching Henry out of the air and dropping towards the water below. He managed to catch them both before they hit the water, though he did, again, throw Henry.

Henry let out a yell of his own and flew towards Gabriel. Gabriel let out a whoop and shot off back towards the Avengers picnic.

—--------

"Well. That was interesting," Clint said sarcastically. Natasha was close enough to him to smack him upside the head.

"Ow!" Clint grumbled, rubbing his head.

Natasha rolled her eyes.

"Should we be worried?" Bruce asked, his eyes on the sky.

"Nah," Tony replied with a shrug. "I don't think they'll kill each other."

"Not funny, Tones." Rhodey rolled his eyes.

They continued to eat and chat.

After about thirty minutes, Gabriel suddenly plummeted to the ground, landing gracefully.

Tony jumped, spilling his drink and releasing a rather undignified yelp.

Gabriel was grinning, so widely you'd think his face would split, and he laughed. His voice had a rumbly and light tone to it that had the Avengers laughing with him.

Henry landed soon after, panting. His hair was windswept, and he was grinning as well. Gabriel was rather unruffled too and practically vibrating with energy. Both of them took a moment to wind down from the glee of flying with someone.

"Dude, your wings. They're huge." Clint remarked.

"Yeah," Gabriel laughed breathily. "I've got the biggest wings out of all the angels, archangels included. They're about 40 feet wide."

"Cool," Clint said, getting to his feet and walking over for a closer look.

Gabriel rolled his eyes and spread his wings out from where they were folded against his back. Henry chuckled lightly and spread his out as well.

Clint smiled, pleased that he was able to inspect the feathered appendages.

Bruce, ever the scientist, joined him though they both avoided touching them.

Gabriel grinned suddenly, rearing back and smacking Clint with a wing.

"Hey!"

The Avengers laughed.

Soon, both Henry and Gabriel put their wings back into the ethereal plane and sat down to eat snacks and chat with the Avengers for the remainder of their day off.