Chapter 23

Guest House:

M (on phone) - Akka yaarukum theriyama indha viradhatha mudikka mudiyum la..konjam bayama irukku..yaaravadhu kandu pidichi kelvi ketta enkitta endha badhilum illa..

Mullai hesitated, her brows knit in worry, as she spoke softly, her voice tinged with apprehension.

P - Mullai bayapadadha..yaarukum theriya varadhu..aana namma amma veetulayum maamiyar veetulayum easy ya marachidalam..aana anga guest house la eppadi maraippa..varalakshmi viradham na manjal la saami pidikanum..sumangali ponnungala veetukku koopittu pooja senju saapadu podanum..blouse bit kungumam nu kuduthu anupanum..Kathir ku eppadi theriyama irukkum..pesama avar kitta mattum solliduriya..

Mullai pondered Priya's words, her thoughts swirling with uncertainty. She weighed the implications carefully before responding.

M - Nee solradhu puriyudhu ka..aana venam..inga poojai panna mudiyadhu dan..adhanaala dan unkitta udhavi ketten..vera enna panradhu nu..idhuvae naan kadasiya panra sumangali poojai ya kuda irukalam..yaaru kanda..idha poi Kathir kitta solli..naanum kozhambhi..avarayum kozhapa virumbala..vera enna panradhu nu mattum sollu..

Mullai's voice held a mix of resolve and sadness as she spoke, her words weighted with finality. Priya's heart sank as she absorbed Mullai's decision. After seeing the lovely undercurrent between her sister and her husband..she had hoped against hope for reconciliation between Kathir and Mullai, but she respected Mullai's choice, knowing that it was made with deep consideration. Mullai's announcement interrupted their conversation as the doorbell rang, signaling Kathir's return.

M - Ahn..Akka..avar vandhutaaru nu ninaikuren..naan vekkuren..naalaikku enga poojai panradhu nu yosichu sollu..ippo bye..

Priya's understanding words offered a brief moment of solace, and Mullai ended the call with a heavy heart. She turned around, her eyes meeting Kathir's as he stood at the door.

K - Phone la edho tension ah pesittu irundha maadhiri irundhudhu..enna edavadhu problem ah..

Kathir's inquiry sliced through the air, and Mullai's attempt to conceal her emotions faltered. She averted her gaze, hoping to shield her tears from his view, but her voice betrayed the turmoil within.

M - Adhellam onnum illayae..just work call dan..

She managed to say, her words laced with a hint of sadness and evasion.

Kathir's heart clenched as he witnessed Mullai's tears, a pang of concern piercing through his confusion. Closing the distance between them, he gently turned her to meet his gaze, his touch seeking to comfort her troubled spirit.

K - Azhariya..Mullai..yenna aachu..??

Kathir's voice, tinged with worry, echoed in the room, his eyes searching hers for answers.

M - Yenna..naan yen azhaporen..adhu kannula thoosi vizhundiduchi..adhan..aama neenga yen innaikku ivlo late..office la niraya velaiya??

Mullai's attempt to deflect his concern with a casual remark about his tardiness didn't go unnoticed by Kathir. However, before he could respond to her question, a realization dawned upon him. The reason for his delay flooded back into his mind - the bangle shopping with Vetri for the upcoming ritual.

K - Ahn..adhu konjam velai irundhadhu..

Kathir replied, though his mind remained preoccupied with Mullai's unshed tears.

K - Nee saaptiya??

Mullai's response was brief, a thinly veiled attempt to divert attention from her inner turmoil.

M - Illa pasikkala..hmm ippo saapidalam..neenga poi fresh aagittu vaanga..naan saapadu eduthu vaikiren

She murmured softly and made her way out of the room, a sense of unease settled over Kathir. He followed suit, the weight of unspoken concerns hanging heavy in the air as he retreated to change his attire, leaving the room momentarily devoid of their shared presence.