Chapter 2

Anadil's first thought was that her mother had summoned her there somehow. She'd put a spell in the river water, or on her, or... She shook her head. She'd think that if she didn't know that the moat was connected to the river system and was the only reason why Lady Eirwen of Bloodbrook had working plumbing (a fact that had the many Never ambassadors that stopped by the manor whispering behind her back. Of course, these mutterings were always swiftly dealt with).

Anadil had never wanted to come back to the manor. Her mother was like the original Sophie of Woods Beyond, a "subversive, modern witch," yet just as needlessly cruel as all who had come before her. At the School for Evil, Anadil hadn't wanted anyone to know who her mother was, and luckily, her grandmother was better known, because however much extravaganza her mother put on, the truth was that her name had never been in a storybook.

The estate of the baroness was just as she remembered. The paintings on the walls, detailing her grandmother's fairytale, were as horrifying as ever, and the dark-stained mahogany floors and golden doorknobs were perfectly polished. Anadil's mother led them up through the manor, both witches dripping sewer water all over the floors. Without a second thought, the baroness quickly whistled for servants to clean it up. She didn't speak as they walked the halls, though Anadil couldn't tell if the silence that had settled over the group was smug, condescending, or chilly.

They stopped at a familiar door. It was the same deep mahogany as the other doors they had passed, the only difference being a few small claw marks along the bottom.

"You're filthy," her mother said, looking her over with disdain. "Wash up, then come downstairs. We have a lot to talk about."

Anadil could only find it in her to nod, but Hester spoke up, to her dismay.

"Excuse me, miss, erm, 'of Bloodbrook,'" she sneered, "but An—your daughter and I were sort of right in the middle of chasing down a dark shadow when we were sucked into the unforgiving river rapids. So if you could show us to the door..."

"And pass up the first chance to speak to my daughter in... how many years has it been now, dear?" She counted on her fingers. "Five years, eleven months and twenty three days."

Anadil was shocked that she knew how much time had passed. For a moment, her heart swelled and she wondered if her mother really did care more than she'd let on. Then she squashed that hope. This was the baroness of Bloodbrook. She was playing games, just like she always was.

"Yeah, yeah," retorted Hester, and if Anadil hadn't been in quite so much shock, she might've strangled her. "And did she try to return? No, no she didn't. So since she clearly doesn't want to speak to you..."

Anadil's mother raised her hand, and Hester stopped talking. She began to rise into the air by her neck as Anadil's mother looked on, bored and unaffected.

"You really have picked some ghastly companions, haven't you?" she reproached her daughter.

"Mother, stop," Anadil said coolly. The baroness raised her eyebrows and dropped Hester, where she collapsed to her knees and gasped for breath.

"She speaks," her mother said. "Darling, I am quite excited to hear about your exploits in the Woods. That is, the ones I haven't read about in fairy tales. And please do tell your friend that this is my home, and my rules apply."

"Yes, Mother."

"Good." The baroness leaned forward and tapped Anadil on the nose with one long, pale finger, watching with satisfaction as she flinched away. "See you for supper!"

Anadil questioned why her mother was hosting supper past midnight, but said nothing of it, waiting before the baroness turned the corner before she hauled Hester to her feet, opened the door, and pushed her in. She steeled her nerves before she entered the room herself, finding it exactly the way she had left it. The walls were still painted a deep burgundy, the bed still large and canopied and covered in pillows. The window was still covered by silky black curtains, and an imposing painting of Anadil's grandmother hung on the wall, glaring at her judgmentally with her beady eyes.