Iss War Ko Kya Naam Doon? (7)

Start from the beginning

Lifecare Hospital,

The hospital loomed ahead, its white facade adorned with green shutters. Disinfectant lingered in the corridors, and a displeased Khushi wrinkled her nose in disgust, protesting with words that went unheard by Madhumathi.

Dr. Verma, the pediatrician, carefully examined Khushi's symptoms and her ankle injury. A Nurse upon his instructions skillfully removed the old dressing and applied a fresh bandage, the spirit stinging slightly as it disinfected the injury. Her ankle, still tender from the half-fall, would need time to heal.

But still better than yesterday.

Madhumathi sat with Khushi, her heart a mix of relief and concern. The anticipation of the doctor's words hung heavy in the room.

The doctor's diagnosis was reassuring, "Just a normal fever, nothing viral. She'll be fine soon."

"And the wound?" Madhumathi's probing question about the wound received a comforting response.

"There's no infection in the wound. Nothing to worry about." The doctor's smile mirrored Khushi's, who beamed back at him.

It meant no injections. So, to confirm, Khushi asked the doctor with the smile still intact on her face, "No injections?"

The doctor's nod was a resounding "no," and Khushi's grin revealed all her teeth.

"Lovely girl," the doctor thought.

He began writing a prescription, instructing Madhumathi, "Keep her hydrated and give her these medicines. Her fever and wounds will be fine."

Khushi wrinkled her nose at the mention of medicines. Can she have an escape from them?

"And yes," the doctor continued, "make sure her ankle is cleaned and bandaged every day. No socks or shoes that suffocate the wound. Let her ankle breathe."

Madhumathi nodded in agreement, grateful for the clear instructions.

Thanking the doctor, she cradled Khushi in her arms, the prescription a lifeline.

School,

The school, a sanctuary of knowledge, was abuzz with the innocent chatter of children. Arnav, who had been waiting with bated breath since the school bell's resonant chime, greeted his mother, Ratna.

"Your lunch," she said, her voice soft as a lullaby, handing over the lunch box. Her eyes, filled with anticipation, scanned the sea of children for a glimpse of the little girl, Khushi. The previous day, Ratna had been unable to come to school due to some pressing matters and had sent a driver to school instead. Her heart had sunk in disappointment at not being able to see Khushi, but fortune had smiled upon her when the girl herself had turned up at her home. Now, she was yearning to see her again.

"Thank you, Ma," Arnav's words of gratitude were lost in the wind as Ratna, her mind preoccupied, asked, "Where's Khushi? She didn't come to see me?"

"She didn't come to school, Ma," Arnav who was frowning till then frowned some more.

"What? Why? Is it because of her injury?" Ratna's heart skipped a beat as she guessed the reason.

"Maybe. Her sister said Khushi caught a fever of 103," Arnav supplied the information, his voice heavy with concern and anger.

"Hey Bhagwan," Ratna exclaimed, her heart filled with concern. Before Arnav could even open his mouth, she shot her next question at him like an arrow, "Why didn't you tell me, Chotte?"

Arnav glared at her in exasperation. How was he supposed to tell her? Telepathy?

"Ma, I just got to know that in our school bus. How was I supposed to tell you?" His words hung in the air, a silent question echoing in the space between them.