THE KINGMAKER'S YOUTH

Start from the beginning

Richard Neville, who was sixteen years old when his brother-in-law passed away, stood between the earldom of Warwick and this one fragile life as a result of Henry Beauchamp's utterly unexpected death. It wasn't going to be a long life, either. The little Anne Beauchamp lived for three more years until passing away on June 23rd, 1449, at seven. In front of Reading Abbey's high altar, she was laid to rest by her grandmother Constance, the daughter of Edmund Duke of York.

Richard Neville was forced to accept the Beauchamp lands from Suffolk as the guardian of the infant countess since the elder Anne, his young bride, was now the heiress of Warwick. The patent, dated July 23rd, 1449, made him Earl of Warwick and included his wife in the award.

Thus, in the year he reached twenty-one, the future Kingmaker was titled Premier Earl of England, Earl of Warwick, Newburgh, and Aumarle, Lord of Glamorgan and Morgannoc, as well as Baron of Elmley and Hanslope. Because the Montacute estates in Wessex and the Neville holding in the Middleham region were far smaller than the nobles and knights fought on foot in there, he was suddenly a considerably more critical personage than his father.

A brief tour of the Beauchamp heritage's artefacts is required to demonstrate how extensive the power now in the young Richard Neville's hands was. The ancient Despenser holding in South Wales and Herefordshire comprised Castle-Dinas, Snodhill, Whitchurch, the castles at Cardiff, Neath, Caerphilly, Llantrisant, Seyntweonard, Ewyas Lacy, and Maud's Castle, was possibly the smallest group of his new assets. With its vast rings of concentric fortification, Caerphilly alone was a fortress capable of withstanding ten thousand soldiers, while Cardiff's massive Norman stonework was still suitable for helpful service. At least fifty manors with Despenser ancestry were between Neath and Ewyas Lacy. 

Another collection of holdings that the Beauchamps acquired from the Despensers was located in Gloucestershire, the most notable of which was the expansive and populated manors of Tewkesbury, Sodbury, Fairford, Whittington, Chedworth, and Lydney. The principal manors in this small territory in Worcestershire were Upton-onSevern, Hanley Fort, and Bewdley. Still, there were also twenty-four other estates of lesser significance and the Castle of Elmley, which had granted the Beauchamps a baron's title. There were only nine manors in all of Warwickshire, but one of them was the affluent manor of Tamworth, aside from the lovely town and castle that came with the earldom. Moving farther south in the Midlands, we come across the baronial seat of Hanslape, seven more manors in Buckinghamshire, five manors in Oxfordshire, and the forest of Wychwood that is counted to the Beauchamps. The counties that make up the United Kingdom include Essex, Hertfordshire, Suffolk, Norfolk, Berkshire, Wiltshire, Somerset, Devon, Cornwall, Northampton, Stafford, Cambridge, Rutland, and Nottingham.

Together have forty-eight manors. Makeup Richard Neville's lands outside of central England. Even in the far North, he managed to gain control of one remote property— Castle Barnard's on the Tees. The number of scattered knights' fees, advowsons of churches, chantries, patronage of abbeys, and town tenements that made up the Beauchamp legacy could never be calculated in addition to the manors; however, these are all listed in the Escheats Roll, from which the ancient may excavate them at his discretion.

The turning point in Henry the Sixth's rule occurred in 1449 when Richard Neville reached the majority and inherited his wife's lineage. In the whole century, there could not have been a more crucial moment to give a young, capable, and ambitious man control and influence. Because it was in 1449 that the English hegemony in France finally fell, sealing the fate of the House of Lancaster. It is difficult to determine whether the deadly attack on Fougères in March, which renewed the conflict, was more dumb or evil. The principal cities of eastern and central Normandy fell quickly in August, September, and October. Concluding with Rouen's surrender after a brief siege of just 19 days.

This unprecedented string of misfortunes rendered the Lancastrian system of government intolerable to the English people. Most Englishmen were now driven by a ferocious hate for Suffolk, the minister whose actions had caused the catastrophe, and Somerset, the governor whose avarice had decimated the Norman garrisons and whose haste and bad faith had sparked the start of hostilities. When it was discovered that King Henry shared their cause, he discovered for the first time—against whom no one had ever spoken before—that the tide of general opinion was turning against him.

At this point, the two groups that would later become known as Yorkist and Lancastrian underwent their last scission. Every critical man in England now had to decide whether his personal allegiance to the King should compel him to accept the retention of the ministers that Henry openly favoured or if he would oppose the Court group, even though doing so would put him in conflict with the King.

Which of the two options the two Neville earls of the younger line would take was clear from the start? Salisbury had never been a workmate of Suffolk, and Warwick operated strictly in unison with his father now as he had in the past. Additionally, they were both worried about their relative, the Duke of York, who had been forced into an honorary exile in Ireland thanks to Somerset's plot. Salisbury and Warwick would be on York's side, not Suffolk and Somerset when the time came for a crisis, and that much was already clear. However, people had yet to predict the precise form of the issues, even though people were becoming more anxious and getting ready for bad times. There was only one particular thing: Suffolk and Somerset were becoming so despised by the people that there would soon be an explosion against them. When it did, a sizable group of England's most incredible men would celebrate its results.

The most concerning symptom of the era was that the great barons on both sides had already begun to arm themselves covertly, to keep track of the number of their retainers, and to make arrangements to take their neighbours into their livery in the event of a catastrophe.

As early as September 1449, when Somerset lost Normandy, Salisbury signed a treaty with a Westmoreland knight whose lands were close to his large holding in the North Riding. This document, which bears witness to the fact that the said Walter is retained and withheld with the said Earl for the purposes of the said indenture, was signed by the two parties. And they say Walter shall be well and commodiously horsed, armed, and arrayed, and always prepared to bide go and come with to and for the said Earl, every time and places, as well as the both in peacetime and in conflict, at the payment of the same Earl." Walter's following was valuable, being "servants, tenants, and inhabitants inside the county of Westmoreland; bowmen and horse and harness, sixty-nine; billmen horse and harnessed This and other such contracts between Salisbury and his northern neighbours demonstrate how the Neville power was established with sufficient clarity, and how dangerous it can end up becoming to the public's tranquillity. How long would it take for the sole phrase "preserving his loyalty" to start fading away if such treaties had once been in place?