𝐎' 𝐜𝐡𝐢𝐥𝐝 𝐨𝐟 𝐚𝐥𝐢𝐬𝐭𝐚𝐢𝐫 𝐜𝐚𝐥𝐝𝐞𝐫𝐚

I have been training for this day my entire life.

My father is Alistair Caldera, victor of the 54th hunger games, voted most ruthless man alive for 12 years in a row, the man who won his games in record time, three days. He took out over half of the tributes on the first night, setting fire to the cornucopia within the first five minutes and then ambushing the unlucky tributes who survived. His entire world revolves around the hunger games, even now when he has been out of the arena for 18 years. And that means that my world also revolves around the hunger games.

I am Lorelei Caldera, named after a manipulative siren who is thought to of seduced men into the Rhine River. It's a peculiar name for a girl in district 4, as sirens are not exactly the districts mascot, they haunted our ancestors for hundreds of years. But, father thought it was fitting.

You see, it's my legacy to win the games, since I was born there has been this expectation of me to follow in my fathers footsteps and prove myself to Panem as his daughter. And the only way to do that, according to father, was to win it early, and that is why I am going in at only 14 years old. Only Finnick Odair has ever won it that early, and I intend to be the second to do it.

And today was the day. The day of the reaping that would be my last.

"You remember what you must do?" Father asked, pushing a bowl of porridge towards me.

"Of course daddy." I smiled.

"How could she forget?" Delilah giggled, looking up from her breakfast. "It's all you two ever talk about."

Delilah is my little sister, she is only 11 so she's not eligible for the games just yet but I can't imagine she will end up in the aren at all besides once I win being a 14 year old victor won't be as impressive. Delilah isn't as tough and as focussed on the games as I am but that's only because father sees her as his little girl and would never hurt her, which is half of the training that I went through.

That sounds bad, but it's what is necessary. The only fate worse than losing and letting down the family name, is to become weak and let down the family name.

Most are nervous for the reaping and every year before today, so was I but not for the reasons you would expect. Before, I wasn't nervous because I was scared that they would pick me and I didn't want to go into the games but because I wasn't fully prepared. There is this weight on my shoulders to live up to the Caldera name and if I went into the area without being fully, no overly prepared then it would risk everything that I have ever worked for.

"Delilah, go put on your shoes. And Lor, shine bright today sweetheart." He told me, grinning and flashing his overly bright smile, the one that he also flashes to the cameras during interviews. When he's nervous.

"I'm gonna be fine, I know everything there is to know about the games. I'm going to be home in 2-3 weeks tops." I promised him, taking a bite out of my porridge.

"Yeah, I know. Just remember what I told you, don't be too cocky."

I nodded and looked down at my breakfast. This felt good, this felt right. Although, I couldn't shake off the fear, not of volunteering but of letting father down. By dying, I would tarnish the family name. And if I don't volunteer at all, that would be even worse.

*ੈ✩‧₊˚

On the walk down to the town square from victors village, father and Finnick Odair began talking.

"Is it your year, little girl?" Finnick asked me.

Finnick Odair won the games 7 years ago when I was 7 and ever since then he has been both our neighbour and like an older brother to me. He watched me grow up and my father was the one that helped him get through his games, he had nightmares pretty bad afterwards. I remember hearing his screams in the middle of the night as my dad ran out of the house, it is the only thing I am scared about.