𝐗𝐗𝐈𝐈𝐈

Start from the beginning

He had masked his actual question with some innocent words. What he really wanted to know is if she wanted to talk to Nico yet, see how he was holding up with the news of Bianca's death. She opened her mouth and instead of filling it with words, she filled it with more cake and shook her head.

"Sally Jackson," Percy decided. "Upper East Side, Manhattan."

"I'll let you and your mom talk," Menodora said. Percy was about to protest, but Menodora was already up and going, the wind gently playing with her hair as she disappeared in the crowd.

The mist shimmered, and there was Percy's mom at their kitchen table, laughing and holding hands with her friend Mr. Blowfish.

Percy felt so embarrassed, he was about to wave his hand through the mist and cut the connection, but before he could, his mom saw him.

Her eyes got wide. She let go of Mr. Blowfish's hand real quick. "Oh, Paul! You know what? I left my writing journal in the living room. Would you mind getting it for me?"

"Sure, Sally. No problem."

Mr. Blowfish left the room, and instantly his mom leaned toward the Iris-message. "Percy! Are you all right?"

"I'm, uh, fine. How's that writing seminar going?"

She pursed her lips. "It's fine. But that's not important. Tell me what's happened!"

Percy filled her in as quickly as he could. She sighed with relief when she heard that Annabeth was safe.

"I knew you could do it!" she said. "I'm so proud."

"Yeah, well, I'd better let you get back to your homework."

He must've come over as distant, because his mom started doing that thing where she tried to make Percy understand the situation.

"Percy, I... Paul and I—"

"Mom, are you happy?"

The question seemed to take her by surprise. She thought for a moment. "Yes. I really am, Percy. Being around him makes me happy."

"Then it's cool. Seriously. Don't worry about me."

The funny thing was, he meant it. Considering the quest he'd just had, maybe he should have been worried for his mom. Percy had seen just how mean people could be to each other, like Hercules was to Zoë Nightshade, like Theos was to Menodora, and like Luke was to Thalia. He had met Aphrodite, Goddess of Love, in person, and her powers had scared him worse than Ares. But seeing his mother laughing and smiling, after all the years she'd suffered with Percy's nasty ex-stepfather, Gabe Ugliano, Percy couldn't help feeling happy for her, because she had finally found the mortal love she deserved.

"You promise not to call him Mr. Blowfish?" she asked.

Percy shrugged. "Well, maybe not to his face, anyway."

"Sally?" Mr. Blofis called from their living room. "You need the green binder or the red one?"

"I'd better go," she told Percy. "See you for Christmas?"

"Are you putting blue candy in my stocking?"

She smiled. "If you're not too old for that."

"I'm never too old for candy."

"I'll see you then."