xi. i was enchanted to meet you

Start from the beginning

this night is sparkling, don't you let it go

i'm wonderstruck, blushing all the way home

i make my way down the stairs, the crowd parts as i step down. some people are dancing. others are just standing, swaying. eyes closed, mouths slightly open. 

i'll spend forever, wondering if you knew

i was enchanted to meet you

i play the little guitar solo as i head towards walker. it sounds richer on the acoustic somehow. like this is what it was meant to be played on. 

this is me praying that, this was the very first page

not where the storyline ends

my thoughts will echo your name, until i see you again

he's looking at me like i just handed him the moon. we 're standing face to face, for the first time since he broke a piece off my heart and took it with him. 

these are the words i held back, as i was leaving to soon

i was enchanted to meet you

the next lyrics are a plea. 

please don't be in love with someone else

please don't have somebody waiting on you

he sings them with me. i once read somewhere that he isn't a very good singer. he isn't half bad tonight. he's got a little smile on his face. i dare to let my lips curve up. the entire room is singing with us now, but i'm only looking at him.

please don't be in love with someone else

please don't have somebody waiting on you

i turn around and head back up the stage. my heart is beating out of my chest. if he didn't get that message, i'm going to scream. 

this night is sparkling, don't you let it go

i finish the song and the crowd roars. i smile, bow and then head offstage. 

"girl, i don't know what that was, but i saw that look. you're in love," xochitl grins, taking the guitar from me and handing it to someone else to put away. 

"you can hear it in the silence," i sing, off-key on purpose, completely ignoring what she just said. 

she grabs my shoulders and shakes them, "y/n! go get your man!" 

i giggle as she shoves me into the crowd. my rose is still in my pocket, thank gods. time to go find walker. after seven minutes of searching inside, asking various people if they'd seen him, enough people had told me to go outside that i listened. i head out the backdoor, not sure why he'd be in the front. unless he left. with my luck, he did, but i'm clinging onto hope and adrenaline, hoping that the stupidity won't catch up with me before i find him. the back exit is actually the entrance to a garden. it's beautiful. moonlit and serene. theres carefully trimmed hedges and not so carefully trimmed rose bushes. small peonies and bigger dahlias. it smells positively enchanting. in the center of all of it, is a huge weeping willow tree. it's branches wave in the wind. under the tree, is a stone bench and on that stone bench, sits a boy. my boy. i head towards him and when i finally get to him, i don't say anything, i just sit next to him. we're silent for a moment. both of us stuck in that electric moment before someone says a word.