Chapter 16

The next day, I'm walking around the castle. After our interaction yesterday, I've been feeling a lot better. Like my confidence had a large boost. And beside that we've been more open to each other. And it won't be the last time we become intimate too...

I walk through the halls, going directly to chambers. After all, Aric saved my life and that from Kemet. I stand before his door. I raise my hand and knock on the door.

I hear some sounds behind it before as the door opens. Aric stands before me, looking down at me and gives me a soft smile. "It's better I hope", he says refering to my wound. I nod in confirmation. "Yes its a lot better but I came here to thank you for saving my life yesterday." "Oh you don't need to-" I interupt him before he can speak. "I'd like you to join dinner with me. As a personal thanks", I say. Aric is silent for a few seconds, seemingly not to expect my invitation.

"I'd love too" he says eventually and his lips curl up just to a smile. "Good, I'll see you then", I say. "And don't forget to inform me if we have news from Frostholm."

Aric nods his head and closes the door as I walk away.

***

"Another kingdom has spotted them from afar, which means in a day time they went already 1/3 of the country. They should arrive back in Frostholm in two days", days Valarian ad he shows me the map.

"Just three days, huh?" I scratch the back side of my neck. "That's isn't much, do they have horses or something?", I ask. Valarian stays in his usual quiet state.

Lysander becomes beside us and places two cups of drinks. I barely pay attention to him as we try to find out what frostholm is planning. Suddenly I feel Lysander behind me.

"Can we talk when you done?", he asks in a whisper. But then sighs and shakes his head. "Sorry, your majesty I'm in no position to ask this."
"No its alright", I reply. "We can talk when we're done." Lysander smiles gratefully and walks away. Valarian eyes following him, almost jealous

"What does he want?", he growls quietly. "I don't know, but I'll find out soon enough." I turn back to the map but Valarians eyes are only focused on me.

"As long as you don't forget me",  he says and places a kiss on my forehead. "I'm going to talk to the guards."

Soon I'm left alone in the room and I sit down. A sudden hand moves over my mouth, preventing me to scream. "Please don't scream", says a male voice. I turn around immedialy, yanking myself out of his grip and see Adrian.

I glare at him. "Seems like they left you behind." Adrian chuckles awkwardly. "Oh uh no... I chose to be left behind. I'm not one of their subjects, I have my own choices, y'know?" I still glare at him.

He could be ready to stab me from behind if he wanted to.

"I could imprison you", I say. "I don't think that's a good idea, I'm a prince remember. If they don't hear from me they might sent an army."

I still look at him up and down. "Which prince are you?", I ask. Adrian gives me a warm smile. "I rule Yirkarko, in the west." Suddenly it makes sense to me.

Yirkarko and Frostholm always were best budies. They lie quite close to eachother, but Yirkarko isn't a place of ice unlike Frostholm. "I see... why did you choose to join this trip anyway?"

Suddenly Adrian's kind and gentle face turns into a sad one. "I'm so incredibly sorry. I didn't knew they would turn on you like that. It's just... when I hear they were coming here I just knew I had to see you." I raise an eyebrow.

"You sound almost like you know me." Adrian's expression continues to be hurt. "You don't remember me?", he asks almost suprised. "Am I supposed to?" I answer.

Adrian comes closer to me, his hand on the side of my face. His soft touch doesn't make me pull away. Everything about him is calm and welcoming. His hand glides over my face, stroking it. "I remember... I was once here. My parents wanted to set me up for marriage. The girl was beautiful, she truly was but, I had only eyes for her younger sister."

I feel my body freeze. That's why he was familiar.
The only time there was somebody here with us, a young boy. I didn't remember why he came but we played all day long. Next day he went away and I've never saw him again, hoping one day he would come back to play again. And here he is...

My eyes don't leave his. "Oh my god...", I whisper soflty. Adrian smiles, he leans closer. "Why did you take so long?", I say pushing him away playfully. "Have you any idea how many years I waited?"

Adrian chuckles. "Sorry, my parents never allowed me to." Suddenly he hugs and I gladly hug him back.

My only friend that I've only met once came back. I assumed he always forgot me, we were kids. Why would he remember me? But here he is...

Adrian leans his forehead against mine. For a moment I feel everything is going to be okay again till the door opens.

Two pair of eyes stare at us. I look at Zephyr. His eyes if shock turning into a sharp glare at Adrian...