9

Troy exited the car with Peter sighing. He forced him to come to another Mate Me event. This time the bonfire on the beach. He wore a pair of khaki shorts and a polo shirt. Peter refused to let him come in his basketball shorts and a ratty T-shirt.

The beach was bathed in the soft glow of twilight, and a group of shifters gathered around crackling bonfires dotting the beach. The waves crashing in the distance added a soothing rhythm to the atmosphere. Josie had her people set up colorful beach chairs and arrange logs around the fire, creating a cozy circle. The flames dance and flicker, casting a warm and inviting glow on the faces of the shifters walking around.

A hired musician with a guitar in her hands strums a few chords, playing a soulful melody. Her voice harmonizes with the crackling fire, filling the air with melodic beauty. The group listens intently, enchanted by the music. They pass around a bag of marshmallows and skewers, preparing for the classic bonfire treat—s'mores. They watch the marshmallows slowly roast over the fire, turning golden and gooey.

"There are people everywhere. Why did you drag me here?" Troy asked, stuffing his hands into his pockets.

"Because you need to get out of your apartment. You are spending too much time watching anime and lying on your couch. If you keep that up, you are going to get fat."

"I'm a shifter. We have great metabolisms."

"Still, your leg won't feel better if you don't keep using it. Didn't you say you felt better after your massage therapy appointment?" Peter motioned to his injured leg, making Troy frown. He shouldn't have looked so happy the day after Annette worked on him.

"I am happy with my life now. My leg will be this way for the rest of my life."

"Then find a mate. Have a bunch of babies and find your happiness there, too."

"I'm not having kids." Peter looked at the groups, but his head snapped back to look at Troy.

"No kids? Does mom know?"

"No. She is not a part of the baby-making decision. I get to choose if I want kids and I don't. I love playing with our friends' kids but don't feel the urge to have any of my own. You and Tessa will have kids for her to dote on. I am going to enjoy being the uncle." Troy smiled and walked away before his brother could push him to change his mind. Children were not a possibility for him. His leg wouldn't allow him to keep up. That is unfair to the children.

"Troy! Good to see you!" Mina called to him as he walked up to a bonfire.

"Hi, Mina. How is everything?" He grabbed a bottle of water from the open drink cooler.

"Good. I'm on summer break." Mina worked for Ellie's school as a head start teacher.

"How long do you get off?"

"I go back the second weekend in August. We ended Memorial Day weekend." Dressed in a kaleidoscope of colors, Mina's attire reflected her vibrant spirit and creativity. Her flowing skirt had a playful pattern, and she covered her arms with bracelets of all colors. She looked as if she had stepped out of a storybook, ready to take on any child sent her way. Troy found her fascinating as a friend. She always had a funny story about the children in her class. She even called them little scholars.

"Enjoy your summer off. I know how hard you teachers work. Ellie shares stories when I see her for dinner." Mina smiled and sipped her cup.

"Ellie is an amazing reading teacher. She is making a big difference at the school."

"I bet. She is an amazing person." Troy looked up to see Annette sitting at a bonfire on the beach. The warm glow of the bonfire highlighted her delicate features, accentuating the contours of her face. Shadows enhance her graceful cheekbones, while the light embraced her flawless skin. Her eyes, illuminated by the bonfire's amber hues, become pools of depth and intrigue. They sparkle with a captivating intensity, reflecting the flames' flickering dance.

As the fire's gentle glow caressed her lips, they parted in a soft smile, revealing the allure of her delicate features. The warm light bathed her lips, lending them a rosy glow and emphasizing their natural curves. Her smile emanated warmth and kindness, captivating Troy's full attention.

A man with neon green hair sat beside her, handing her a beer. With anyone else, he'd think she was happy to see this man and accept the drink. Troy knew Annette better, and he could tell she was annoyed and trying to hide it. All their nights watching anime online taught him what many of her facial expressions meant. The man put his arm around her shoulders, and Troy narrowed his eyes.

Jealousy ignited within Troy as he observed another man brazenly putting his arm around Annette's shoulders. The flickering flames of the bonfire mirrored the turmoil swirling within his heart, casting an ominous shadow across his features. With his clenched fists and furrowed brow, Troy watched intently as the scene unfolded before him. His emotions shone in the firelight—hurt, insecurity, and jealousy.

As the man's arm encircled Annette's shoulders, Troy felt an intense surge of possessiveness. His eyes narrowed, fixated on their proximity, each touch piercing his heart like a searing flame. The bonfire's once warm and inviting ambiance now seemed to cast an ominous glow, intensifying the tumultuous storm within him.

He and Annette agreed to be friends, nothing more. He had no right to her. Troy shook himself out of the feelings swirling in his head. His wolf growled deep in his chest. That fucking idiot had his hands on his mate. They needed to do something.

She is not our mate, remember? Her stance on mates is the same as mine. We don't need one.

Says you! I want our mate.

Troy felt his wolf huff in his head and metaphorically turn its back on him. Troy shook his head and walked to the bonfire where the idiot was accosting Annette.