1) a late night conversation

feeling drained from an earlier mission, you move somewhere more quiet.

-

you crashed on the couch, closing your eyes. it had been a few hours since the latest mission. it wasn't stressful, and unfortunately you couldn't slaughter any nazis. but carrying supplies back to the ship was enough to exhaust anybody, especially in the cold weather.

your aching back was pressed against the armrest of the soft grey couch, and you rested on your cheek on the backrest, almost sitting in the fetal position. you didn't feel like going to your room just yet - the bar was always loud, and this couch was always occupied by resistance members. right now was the only time you could chill down here, as nobody is ever up this late. the silence was comforting and calm. there was nothing to worry about - nothing to hurt you. just you in an empty room, lounging on the best piece of furniture onboard.

closing your eyes, your mind focuses on the ambient sound of the air conditioning. every few moments the vents would tap, and slowly it started to pull you to sleep. until the door near the bar opened and your nap was interrupted.

you sigh at the sound of the metal door opening.

"there you are, i was looking all over for you!" the boy in the green sweater exclaimed. he smiled softly and made his way to you.

"hi wyatt," turning your head towards him, "why are you up so late? isn't everybody asleep?" you asked, forcing a smile on your sleepy face.

he sat a few inches away from you, making the couch dip a bit in his direction. he scratches his ear before turning back to you.

"i walked past your room and you weren't there, so i just wanted-" he stutters a bit, pausing to look at the wall, "to make sure you know.. nothing happened to you."

he looked at you once more, noticing the bags underneath your eyes. he looked tired too, as his blinking was inconsistent and he yawned frequently.

"i'm just chilling down here tonight, you don't need to worry at all" you smile softly, feeling the heat build up in your cheeks. it was sweet how much he cared about everybody.

"i know.. this isn't where we usually sit though, so i kinda got nervous when you weren't upstairs either," wyatt's hands find his lap and he starts to bounce his left leg.

you look towards him to respond, but the moment your eyes meet his, he looks away from you.

"i'm sorry if i upset you," you pause, "isn't it nice down here when you know, grace and william aren't being obnoxious dorks?"

he lets out a breath of laughter at your remark and scootches closer to you. his right thigh was now pressed against yours gently, and you could feel the warmth radiating off it.

your breath hitches. yes you two were close friends, a little too close, but touching you while you two were alone? it made your stomach fuzzy. it's different than draping his arm over your shoulder, as you tell stories and laugh with grace and set. he's hugged you, cuddled, and comforted you in private before. but it felt different this time. it made your mind foggy and your heart beat faster.

"yeah, i like it when it's quiet.. and just us," he slightly adjusts his leg, making the feeling in your stomach greater.

"that's why i started sitting down here past nine, no one's ever down here." you giggle, trying to ease the awkwardness between you two.

"let's start hanging out here then."

yeah, like this room is always empty.

he keeps stealing glances at you, ever since he came down here. but whenever your eyes meet his - he looks away.

as the two of you continue to chat about where to sit tomorrow, he yawns and rubs his eyes.

"why are you up so late anyway? i thought you go to sleep at what, 9?" you ask him. you slowly scoot yourself closer as you ask him, and you're leaning against him now. the sudden contact has him visually startled, as he swallows slowly and struggles to get words out of his mouth.

"i'm not tired."

"don't lie to me wyatt," you raise an eyebrow. "you are the number one rule follower here, and last time i checked you would leave game night early because you had to sleep."

he thinks of an excuse, blurting out, "i didn't want to listen to a drunk william for another hour."

you giggle, "sureeee.." facing him again, something bothered him. he stares down at the tile floor, looking at the blurred reflection of himself and you.

"you know y/n, i just.." he pauses. you listen to him shifting your leg so you're touching him more.

he stares at you for a second, a slight pink dusting his cheeks. his breath hitches, and he looks at you.

"i can never sleep when you're not here."

your heart drops. his words make your stomach sink and you subconsciously lean into him even more. his breath hitches as he realizes you're completely pressed against the side of him. he feels hot to touch.

"w-what do you mean?" you ask, flustered and confused at the same time. his fingers were brushing through his hair nervously, and he started bouncing his leg even more.

"l-last time you were with anya breaking into the headquarters, i thought that would be the last time i would see you," he whispers the last part. he notices a strand of hair on your sleep-deprived face, and oh how desperately he wants to tuck it behind your ear.

you open your mouth to respond, but he wraps his arms around you, enveloping you completely and burying his face in your shoulder. no words fall out of your mouth.

you hold onto him and squeeze him harder. brushing your hand through his brown locks, you look down at him and you could've sworn you saw tears in his eyes.

"first klaus then caroline, and now you- i just, y/n i can't lose you," he pulls his head up and looks into your eyes. your hands find his scarred cheek, softly holding onto both sides of his face.

he is so pretty.

the room was comfortably quiet. the air conditioner still made the tapping noise every once in a while, but your breathing made it inaudible. exhaling slowly, and gently massaging the scar on his face, you lean closer to his ear "i'm not going anywhere, probst," you whisper. he could feel the warmth of your breath on his scarred earâ€" and his eyes light up as you call him by his first name; that was the first time he was called that directly in a long time.

raising his hand to your cheek, he pushes that strand of hair behind your ear, letting his hand linger on your jawline.

"you promise me you won't, y/n?" he looked on the verge of tears.

"i promise probst."

you look into his eyes once more - his gaze softened, eyebrows relaxed. you wanted to pour your feelings out right then at that moment, but it's not the best time.

instead, you hug him once more, enveloping him in your arms as you nuzzle yourself in the side of him. you rest your head on the side of his chest, feeling the soft green fabric against your cheek and he runs his fingers through your hair. you hear the sound of his heart thumping, and his chest slowly moves up and down as he breathes. his breathing masked every other sound in the room, making you slowly shut your eyes.

you were safe. safe in his arms, safe from all the terror in the world. there was nothing that could harm you - no deathshead or engel, nothing that could hurt you right now. you twitch slightly, and he intertwines his hand with yours.

just you and the boy you love.

but you'll tell him that tomorrow.