B A S T A R D S - 0 5

Start from the beginning

"I am sorry," Aurora breathed, even if it wasn't true. But she knew what she had to say to get Otto Hightower to shut up. "It won't happen again." Not that it was in her hands, but at that moment it was the only thing to stop her grandfather's rant.

Otto snorted barely perceptibly, but he seemed to calm down. Aurora still didn't dare to look at him and the tension inside her increased when there was only silence for a moment. Her hands tangled together and a soft, sweet pain ran through her body as she scraped the skin away from her fingernails. Strangely, it was the only thing that could soothe her.

"You are similar to your mother in many ways," Otto suddenly said and Aurora looked up in surprise. His gaze on her hands. "I wish she hadn't passed that unsightly trait on to you."

Aurora winced and immediately removed her hands from each other to hide them behind her back. She knew immediately what he meant. Bloody fingernails weren't just reflected on her fingers. Otto said nothing more in response and leaned against his desk.

"A lot of time has passed and your wedding is coming up," Otto began and Aurora felt her heart begin to pound wildly. "You seem happy here."

Aurora wouldn't call it happy, because the word was foreign to her, but she felt at ease. Welcome. Not even remotely comparable to the feelings she had felt when she had been in King's Landing.

"The Martell's are very kind to me."

"They seem to have accepted you into their circle."

Aurora thought for a moment and nodded. "There hasn't been a day when they've conveyed anything else to me."

Otto nodded with satisfaction and his look did not bode well. Her grandfather was hard to read, but she was sure he hadn't called her into his chambers to inquire about her well-being.

"Then I'm sure you can tell me something about her plans."

And there it was.

"Plans?" She tilted her head and Otto pursed his lips.

"We've heard about some powerful houses in Bravoos, which are in contact with House Martell. We'd like to know if we need to prepare for anything." He spoke to her as if he were talking to a small child. Patiently. Slowly. As if the conversation was not at eye level.

Otto deduced from the look in her eyes that he had to keep talking. She understood the direction of the conversation, but she refused to believe that her grandfather was up to what she suspected.

"We have to rule out certain situations, child."

"Certain situations?"

"Dangerous... Situations. Potential attacks. Potential broken promises based only on the words of already deceased rulers."

She wasn't stupid and she understood immediately, but that didn't change the fact that his words shocked her.

"You suspect the Martells want to betray us?"

"I suspect nothing," Otto contradicted sharply."I just want to be informed of all possibilities and be prepared. That is my duty as Hand of the King."

Of course the Martells wouldn't tell her if they were up to something, but even without any proof, Aurora knew they were honest. Honorable. They were true to their word. This all had to be a misunderstanding.

"I haven't heard of anything, Grandfather."

Her grandfather didn't seem satisfied with her answer.

"Are you sure?" He was slowly beginning to annoy her.