B A S T A R D S - 0 5

Start from the beginning

"Would you be so kind as to explain to me what this means?"

Thousands of thoughts flashed through Aurora's mind and each one was just as nonsensical and confusing as the one before it. She looked at Aegon, looked into his bright blue eyes, which widened in shock, and was convinced that he felt the same way she did. Fabulous. Her stupid brother had gotten her into this situation and now he was nothing but useless.

She pushed herself up to get to her feet as quickly as possible, but stumbled and fell again, right on top of Aegon, who groaned in pain as her knee landed between his legs.

Aurora tried to hide her glee at this and quickly straightened up, her head humbly bowed as Otto Hightower liked it.

Aegon, on the other hand, was apparently not interested in pleasing his grandfather and laughed uncertainly when his hard gaze fell on him.

Better Aegon than them.

"I just wanted to talk to my sister." Threatening would have been the more correct term for it.

"And you have to do this in my chambers?" Good Question.

"Our sweet Aurora has a talent for hiding from me, and since I knew you were expecting her, I wanted to put an end to her game of hide-and-seek."

It wasn't a game. She just wanted to create as much space between Aegon and herself as possible, and for good reason.

She wanted nothing more than for Aegon to disappear.

Aurora didn't see her grandfather's reaction, her gaze was too fixated on his feet, but she felt his eyes wander to her. The temperature in the room dropped noticeably and suddenly Aurora began to freeze. At that moment, she would love nothing more than to dig herself a hole and disappear into it.

"That sounds amusing," Otto mocked and approached them both. "But I don't have time for your childish games, grandson. Go back to your chambers and don't cause any trouble. I have something to discuss with your sister."

She corrected her statement. Aegon should stay. Although she felt a great dislike for Aegon, nothing came close to her dislike for her grandfather. She would rather be locked in a room with Aegon for a thousand years than spend even a second with Otto. But as always, the gods ignored what she wanted and played their cruel games with her.

Aurora looked out of the corner of her eye at Aegon and for a second his gaze brushed hers and she felt his lips on hers again. The memory of it was so real that she felt like she could still feel him on her. She took a deep breath and clasped her hands in her dress.

She bit her lower lip as Aegon obeyed her grandfather's command and walked out of the room without saying another word. Aurora couldn't describe how uncomfortable it was to be alone with her Otto, who seemed to have nothing but contempt for her.

She flinched as Otto approached her, but to her relief, he walked past her and went to his desk.

She turned in his direction.

"Is it too much to ask that you finally learn how to behave?"

That was a wonderful start to a conversation.

"Aegon surprised me."

"Then you should have left," Otto replied harshly. "A lady your age, unmarried at that, alone in a room with a man, who is not your fiancé. You know that's unseemly and scandalous. If someone else had caught you together, we might have a different problem now. Is it so important to you to cause us even more shame?"

Of course it was her fault and not Aegon's.

'to cause us more shame.'

As if it was her fault that she was born. As if it was her fault what happened to Aemond. As if all the misery in this world was her fault. If Aurora hadn't been born, the question would be who else Otto would blame for all the problems.