2. The Ball

2 weeks later

"Caroline can you get me some eggs on the market?" mother asks.

"yes, mother" i yell and run out. It is only a minute to the place where you can get the eggs.

"ten eggs please?" i ask miss Reins, the farmer's wife

"here you go, sweetheard" she says while she gives me the eggs and i give her the money. As i start walking home i hear wispers start that Lord Elijah is in town. As i stood by the front door, mother said "turn around. Never turn your back to the Lord. not even when walking away"

As i turn around i see that Lord Elijah is only standing a few meters away from us. He clears his throaght to say something

"Might i ask where the young lady Caroline Forbes lives?" he says and everybody turns their head to me. Why did he asks for me? Did i do anything wrong?

He alights from his horse and gives the reins to one of his servants. He walks towards me and i bow down. One of his servants walks with him and gives him a envelope and a big box. He takes it and gives it to me "My brother would appreceate it if you would come, young lady" he says. 

"Thank you, my Lord" i say and bow before i take what he gives me.

"be there 4 hours before the party starts. The maids will braid your hair and do your make up." he says before he goes back to his horse.

"What was that?! How come they know your name and why do they invite you to their party?" mother asks while the old lady walks towards us. And signs to mother that she needs to speak to her under four eyes. I try to listen what they say

"Miss, if you're smart you don't let Caroline go. There are going a lot of rumour atound about these brothers. They would be murderous and no one really knows them. The last girl that visited them. Ran away because she had to fear for her life" the old lady says

"But it's not going to end well if i don't let her go. They gave her an invitation and i bet in the box is a dress. It would be a hugh insult" mother says

"well. I pray for the best ending if you let her go" the old lady says before she walks my way. She looks concerned.

"well, how did they know your name?" mother asks again and looks stern at me.

"I really don't know mother" i say honest.

"well, come with me. You need to eat somthing, darling" mother says before she walks away.

~ 2 week later

"thank you, sir" i say to mr. Branson who had a coach and wanted to bring me to the castle. I still have no idea why this brother of Lord Elijah wanted me to come. Perhaps what would he look like? No one knows him? Would he be handsome?

"Hello" a girl by the port says. "I'll be yor maid for today"

"hello" i say while i walk after her to a room. She helped me putting on the dress, the Lords gave me. "So what is Lord Elijah's brother like?" i ask

"he is a charming man. Hard to resist" she says "but do not anyone i told you that. I am not allowed to talk about them"

"I will keep it between these 4 walls" i answer. So charming, hum. I can't wait to finally meet him.

~

"hello, miss Forbes" I hear a voice say. I turn around to see Lord Elijah.

"good evening, my Lord" i say and bow.

"How come it be that my brother invites you? He must be impressed by you" he says.

"I do not know, my Lord" i answer. Did his brother know me.