With Laeli's plan and arguments laid out, the council was left to discuss and hopefully — approve her decision.

They had convened for over an hour when they finally came back with their decision.

They approved.

An emotional celebration followed, and Moana immediately sent out an order to start preparing the canoes and respective crew. One of the crew members was a young man of Laeli's age named Kane; the two had grown up together, and there had been a few hints of mutual romantic interest, though Laeli had never actively pursued him. She had never really pursued boys her age, neither did Aihe for that matter. Both sisters had been more focused on their duties and responsibilities to their island, and they did not feel the pressure to find a partner and marry, not yet anyway.

Kane was over the moon for the voyage, as he had been taught under Moana, as did a few other kids his and Laeli's age. And with the added benefit of Laeli's leading the crew? He couldn't have planned it better himself.

The voyage would depart Motunui's shores in three weeks, allowing just enough time for the canoes to undergo inspections and any repairs that would be needed. Food prep also occurred, with baskets and other storage being made.

As all of the preliminary work was being done, Moana stepped in to provide her daughter with new clothes.

"New clothes? Couldn't I just bring what I already have?"

"The seas will be unforgiving, even with Ocean there to support you. You'll need more adaptable clothing." Moana explained, "Plus, when you do encounter other tribes, they'll need to know you're in charge, you're the leader. It'll be your opportunity to put your diplomatic lessons to the test."

The following three weeks were full of anxiety and anticipation as the village prepared for the chief's daughter's departure. Many of Laeli's friends were depressed with her leaving, as many of them preferred the land over the sea, and two were already engaged to be married. While Laeli was also sad to leave them, she didn't want to be held down to any commitments. She wasn't ready for that, not for a while.

The remainder of the wait passed by seemingly in a flash, and soon, the village gathered by the shoreline, all bearing witness to Laeli and her crew's maiden voyage. It was just after the sun rose, and standing before the biggest canoe that Laeli would be piloting, she stood before her parents and the rest of her family behind them. And off to the side was Maui — the demigod was not going to miss out on this opportunity to see the next generation of voyagers set sail. He was also there to guide Laeli as needed, a reminder of home.

Laeli gazed at her family, the pained smiles of her mother, father, and sister, with her aunt Huihana and Pania standing with their families. And of course, her beloved grandparents also watching with pride in their eyes. Her grandfather Tui now walked with the aid of a cane, just like his late mother. He was slower, his gait more painful from age. It was evident to the rest of the family that he did not have much time left, but Laeli was grateful he was still around to see her chase after that same dream her mother had.

Moana stepped forward, inhaling deeply, briefly glancing towards the heavens where a couple of straggling stars still twinkled before the sun completely filled the sky. With tears in her eyes, she reached behind her neck and removed her beloved necklace, the shell suddenly feeling heavier than she remembered. She had never removed it since Tala had given it to her that fateful night.

"This necklace has been in our family for generations. My grandmother, your great-grandmother gave this to me to fulfill my quest to restore Te Fiti's heart. It's empty now, but I pass this unto you to carry our family's legacy wherever you go — and perhaps you'll find something just as precious to carry inside as I once did." Moana took Laeli's outstretched hand, and delicately placed the necklace in her palm, closing her fingers over it. Then Moana gestured for Keoni and Aihe to come closer, bringing the four of them in.

"You girls are our pride and joy, and while you're going down separate journeys in life, never forget that you are our daughters, and you are the pride of Motunui." A single tear slipped down Moana's cheek as she turned to Maui, "We've counted on your loyalty for decades, and I trust you will guide my daughter and teach her well, as you did with me."

"Always, Curly." He grinned. Even Mini Maui gestured in understanding. He couldn't speak, but he was always understood.

As the crew boarded the canoe, Laeli found it difficult to part from her mother's side, and Moana sensed so.

"Keep chasing the sun," Moana said, gently pushing her daughter aboard the canoe. Once she was up, the sail was unfurled. In a brilliant flash of purple light, Maui shifted into his giant hawk form, screeching loudly as he took off into the sky, a powerful gust of wind filling the sail, pushing it out into the reef ahead.

The trio of canoes crossed the reef, and through the ocean spray, Laeli gazed back at Motunui one last time as the ocean welcomed her into the vast blue ahead.

And so, the daughter of Moana set forth to forge her own path, her own future.

And at last, we bring The Stars and the Sea to a close!

The next installment is The Voyager and the Rogue, which y'all can find here on my profile as well. Please enjoy! And keep an eye out as my crossover universe expands!