Chapter 8

The last thing Keoni could remember was hearing Moana's panicked voice calling for him as his vision faded. He could barely recall his brief, painful moments of lucidity as Moana sewed up his shoulder wound.

Now he could feel every jolt of discomfort or pain as he moved. Yet at the same time, his arm felt numb. He could sort of move his fingers, but he couldn't feel the movement of his joints and tendons. He could feel, though, gentle hands on him. As he blinked his eyes open, his vision began to focus on Moana's face. And even though he was still coming to, concern was evident on her face.

"Keoni...?" She whispered his name. He blinked again, Moana's face finally clear to him.

"... I'm... I'm alive?" He mumbled. She bit back a laugh and helped him sit up. As the dizziness left him, he realized his arm was bound to his body. He was wearing a sling. As he processed what was going on, Moana watched him closely.

"Yeah, you are alive. Thank the gods... does anything hurt?"

"I mean... yeah, my shoulder feels like it was chopped off."

"It's completely broken. Maui tried putting your shoulder back in its socket, but I don't know if that worked. Your body needs rest. I, uh, I have some salve that will temporarily help."

"Do what you need to do. I can barely feel anything in my arm anyway." Wordlessly, she went to the canoe and fetched a hollow coconut shell, revealing some kind of balm inside. She peeled back the banana leaves she used to keep the stitched wound covered. The stitches were beginning to crust up, and dried blood was building up on the surface of the wound as well. It was not a pretty sight.

Once she finished treating the wound, she then went to get some water and food for him.

"Here, get your energy up a little. Maui set up camp for us so you can rest more." She informed him. He silently acknowledged her, but he still appeared dazed. But Moana didn't mind. After he ate a bit, she helped him up to move him to the camp, which was no more than overgrown branches of an ʻōhiʻa tree, forming a cave-like structure.

After yesterday's incident with the Taniwha, neither wanted to take a chance with the other cave. It was far too dangerous.

Once Moana helped Keoni get settled in, Maui informed them that he was gonna go and scout the sea for a bit to see if there were other islands that might be safer.

"That's fine, be safe out there."

When Maui left, Moana took a seat next to Keoni at the entrance of the tree cave, the pair watching the shoreline.

"Y'know, once we finish this whole... adventure, or whatever you wanna call it, I'll help you in any way I can to get you settled on Motunui. You can build a new life there, and I'll have a physician look at your shoulder."

"You know you don't have to do that."

"I know, but considering all you've been through, let me do some of the heavy lifting." She teased, gently nudging his good arm.

"If you say so."

"I do say so. I'm the one that got you hurt, and I feel guilty about it. Plus, I'm going to help you anyway. The Gods meant for it."

While Maui was gone, a thunderstorm rolled in, blowing harsh, cold wind around. Moana gave herself and Keoni blankets to remain warm for the time being. It wasn't too bad, though. It brought Keonit a sense of comfort, something he hadn't had in a long time. He could remember watching thunderstorms from the safety of his fale with his sister as children. The thunder would crash and practically shake the island, and the lightning flashing in the distance over the sea.

Keoni had never been afraid of thunderstorms as a child, but he had become frightened after the island's exodus and being harshly brought back. Any clap of thunder, or a strike of lighting that was too close for comfort, shook him to his core.

But, being here with Moana, a strong woman who'd already dramatically changed his life over the course of a few days, he didn't feel the palpable fear anymore. He felt safer.

Then the storm passed, the dark clouds disappearing over the horizon. Not long after it left, the pair saw some splashing near the shoreline. Curious, they made their way over to see what was going on, only to find a pod of dolphins herding a school of fish around.

Keoni couldn't help but crack a smile at the sight.

"What's the smile?" Moana asked.

"Oh, nothing. I enjoy watching dolphins when they come near." He paused momentarily, thinking back on when he would fish in the early morning, and a small pod of dolphins would come around, eagerly awaiting their share of the catch. He enjoyed those moments, not minding on tossing some fish to them periodically. They became quite friendly with him, though he always remained a respectful distance away.

"You know... my dad's spirit animal's a dolphin." She turned to him, interested.

"Really? That's nice! My gramma's spirit animal is a manta ray."

"Does she come to visit you?"

"Sometimes. Usually to check up on me, sometimes to offer her wisdom. She's always been good at that. Has your dad ever come to visit you?" Keoni frowned a bit, shaking his head.

"Not that I can recall. I've never really... felt his presence nearby growing up."

"Well, I'm sure he was there. Even if you didn't know it. Our ancestors are always around us."

"Hm. I'd like to think so." Moana decided to tell him another bit about her journey to Te Fiti, when she and Maui had a big fight, and she felt alone and hurt. Her grandmother came to see her, and so did her ancestors to guide her. Her connection to them and the sea grew stronger tenfold that night, and that moment helped her understand who she was meant to be.

During her voyage on the seas, visiting other islands, she would occasionally see the ghosts of the ancestors pass by. Eventually, her parents and other voyagers with her also began to see them.

Later on, when Keoni turned in for the night, Moana remained on shore, letting Ocean swirl up her arm and play with her, dumping shells on her lap.

Then, the strangest thing happened.

Even though night had fallen, the stars were shining brilliantly, outshining the waning moon. Moana watched a small school of minnows swimming near her feet when suddenly, it was like a torch was blown out. Glancing around, confused, she didn't see anything.

Then she looked up at the sky and realized a couple of clusters of stars had... vanished-?

Stars could disappear?