"Yes, sir!"

The soldiers who trailed them as he led the direction hurriedly ran towards the walls' direction. After draining the lizard of its blood, the man threw the lizard at his feet.

"It's yours since you're the one who caught it. Dragon subspecies will give you quite a bit of money. Even this low-level monster can earn you two dirhams if you take it apart and sell its leather and gemstones."

Riftan stared distantly at the lizard's fluid. The knight lifted the black hound a few steps away, paying him no more attention. He heard his tongue click.

"This guy needs to be buried."

At the knight's words, Riftan returned to his right mind. Riftan opened his lips to urgently ask the knight.

"You said this monster is still young and low-level, does that mean it's not dangerous? Will the young lady be alright?"

The knight slightly frowned. Riftan became nervous, noticing that he might have offended the knight with hid intrusive questions. Fortunately, the knight seemed to be a relatively patient person, and responded indifferently, although his expression was umpleasant.

"If it's only an injury from this lizard's venom, then it can be resolved quicky with purification magic. It won't be much of a problem for the young lady."

It was only then that Riftan's shoulders relaxed. He lowered his head and rubbed his throbbing back. He felt like he aged three or four years when he saw the girl being attacked by a monster when it happened only thirty minutes ago.

"Do you work in the smithy?"

The knight who was observing him closely suddenly asked. Riftan nodded his head with an alert expression.

"I've been an apprentice for a couple of months. I used to work at the stables."

The knight stroked his chin thoughtfully and reached at something on his waist.

"I have to go back to work, so I don't have the time to deal with this matter. I'll leave it to you."

Riftan looked down at the four sparkling silver coins that the man is handing him. The knight then bluntly added, "Two coins for the price of quelling the monster and the other two is for saving the young lady. If the lady was in big trouble, the guards would not have been spared from punishment. Take it, as a reward."

Riftan's face hardened instantly, realizing that he was being bribed to keep his mouth shut. If it wasn't for fate that he happened to be passing by, it would be a displeasing news that the duke's eldest daughter has almost lost her life.

Riftan, who has been plagued and surrounded by hostility since childhood, was able to easily read the knight's warning gaze. He's telling him to take the money and never talk about what transpired today in the forest. He had no choice but to accept the silver coins and clench his teeth.

He had no power to oppose him in the first place. The knight might think that he is acting generously towards him, handing a large amount of money to a peasant, yet in turn preventing him from escalating the situation by keeping Riftan's mouth sealed. Riftan tucked the silvern coins into his pocket and walked away towards the dog.

"I will bury this guy as thanks for your tremendous generosity."

The knife smirked and nodded, not bothering to reprimand a peasant boy's boldness for speaking in a sarcastic tone. Riftan hid the dead dog beneath his barrow, loading it with lime and ran through the woods. When he reached a quiet place where people don't pass by, he began digging using sturdy tree branches.

He longed to get tools from the smithy but if he goes back now, he wouldn't be able to escape chores until the day ends. When the branches broke, he dug deep in the soil with his bare hands. When it was deep enough, he carried the cold dog and laid it on the ground. Its fur was surprisingly stiff and cold as his palm gently swept across its neck.