Chapter VII: The Masks That Lie (Part-I)

Everyone was having a great time - the royals and other VIPs were enjoying the evening.

They had a variety of drinks, desserts and food. 

--        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~                                  *                         ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~        --

"Um Julian, can we have a break and eat something?"

"Sure"

Zephyrina approached Charlotte, who signalled her to come over near the chocolate fountain.

"In a minute or so they'll be here, I guess."

"Who..?"

"Dear, you forgot everything I told you at the  start?"

"Oh, the mask thing. Okay I won't take it."

Zephyrina looked behind Charlotte and noticed two girls with a look on their faces.

"Who are they, Cherry?" She asked

"Oh, I'm sorry I forgot to introduce them to you. This is Natasha, my cousin sister."

A girl with a yellow dress smirks at Zephyrina and waves at her only moving her palm and fingers.

"..And this is Viola, my other cousin."

A girl wearing a brown dress smiles at her. "Julian is my brother, by the way."

"Ahah

"Ahah... Nice. So Charlotte. What are your plans?"

"Look. Princesses, we four could be the only ones safe tonight."

"Why so?" asks Viola.

"I highly doubt there's going to be a disaster. The masks are one. We never know what's coming up next. Get me?"

All nod together.

"Hey, what about us?" Says Prince Sebastian, pointing out to himself and his friend Prince Julian.

"Sure, we count you guys in. Adding in, telling the people wouldn't make any difference. They are not going to believe our story. So, we're the best chance we have. I'm not sure about what I'm saying, but I know we can solve the mystery." Zephyrina said as she smiled at the team.

---       ~~~~~~~~~~~~~                                     *                                   ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~       ----

"Diiiiiing do000ng, wear these masks that we give youuu" Sang a guy who looked 45 years old with a big tummy and a thick moustache.

"Um sir, may I know from where you got these masks?" asked Viola.

"Yes, Your Highness. I got it from an Antique dealer nearby. She said that these belonged to the royals centuries ago. Perhaps a very elegant silver masquerade mask would make you put a barrier to your interesting curiosity, Princess!"

"Um no, I'm fine. We're fine we don't need them thank you, sir!" Claimed Viola

"Oh sure, your Highness."

Viola sighed and she looked back at the group of six. "All the very best guys." Said Zephyrina.

"Guys, we need to go get this 'antique dealer' lady. "

----      ~~~~~                       Meanwhile...  at the ball                                 ~~~~~~      -----

The Royals wore the masks the man gave to them and started dancing.

Just as they were, something out of the ordinary happened.

The masquerade masks turned into black-coloured smoke. It happened to everyone wearing the mask. 

Soon after, they removed the mask and their eyes turned black. All their voices turned hoarse and they started destroying everything.

Food was thrown here and there

Glass jars and plates were broken and shattered into pieces on the floor

The royals were screaming and shouting 

Their behaviour was out of control.