Chapter 4

*8 Days Later*

{Jean Valjean}

Throughout the days paranoia spread through me. Every turn I made I thought Javert was there. Every time I spoke I thought Javert heard me.

I know Javert believes that I am Jean Valjean. He won't say it though because if he's wrong the accusation would be disastrous. He would lose his position on the force. He would be thought of as a fool. Everyone would talk and say, "Oh yes Inspector Javert who thought Monsieur L'Mayor was a criminal named Jean Valjean. That fool!"

Javert would never want to be viewed as foolish.

He eyed me suspiciously, knowingly every time I came across him anywhere.

{Javert}

It has been eight days since I realized who M. L'Mayor really was. Jean Valjean. That scum. I've been on his trail since he broke his parole. No one would make me look like a fool! No one would escape from my grasp!

God wanted me to do this. The Lord wanted me to capture Jean Valjean. 24601.

The day would come when I'd be able to prove that he was 24601. Whenever that day may be, I would be there to announce the truth. God would surely want this thief to be caught. I would see justice would be done.

{Fantine}

Through the eight days which have come to pass me by my desperation grows. Two of my teeth have been pulled by a man at the docks. I no longer stray away from there. Why should I? I would en up there in the end wouldn't I. It was inevitable.

I couldn't believe what happened to me. I had only been a person who was kind and loving. What did I do to deserve this? All of this!

"Come on, dearie. It's quite easy really," a woman said as she approached me. She had dirty blonde hair that was pinned up. Her dress was torn, ripped, and really muddy. Her face was covered in a makeup that was out of sorts. Her brown eyes looked concerned. "Just do it, he'll pay well," she went on.

I looked into her eyes, knowing what it was she wished for me to do. Prostitution. She wanted me to becomes one of them.

She held my hand, and walked me over to the man she wished me to sleep with. It was anything, but easy. The man saw the sight of me and looked shocked. Then, he smiled. He was shocked by my beauty? The face of one dying, one who was sick, one who was hopeless. He found beauty even in that face.

I realized he wasn't taken aback by my beauty, it was because of what he thought would happen. The thought angered me. The woman let go of my hand and placed in the man's. this man was scum. He was a low-life.

I led him to the ship. Once inside he came towards me undressing me. There was no feeling there. No intimacy. Nothing at all.

He ravished me. Having me in his own way. Pressing himself against me. Kissing me softly then harder. Kissing me all over. There was no feeling though. I felt nothing towards him. Might've hated this man even.

__________________________

{Fantine}

He tossed five francs to me and smiled.

"Anytime you want to do that again let me know," he said. He kissed me on my neck again. I could smell the terrible stench of his breath. I could feel the the heat of his breath on my neck.

I nodded. He actually had enjoyed himself! Thought I had enjoyed it as well! He was attractive in a way. He had dark brown hair, brown eyes, and skin a tannish color. I'd remember him. He'd haunt me. The way he acted...