chapter twenty six; how many things

Start from the beginning

"Past relationships are meant to stay in the past." I vaguely said, sitting back down and picking up the board again. I grinned at my disappointed manager as I began peeling away the next question. As my fingers quivered, I could sense Walkers future emotions after watching this interview.

He'd be upset that they asked me that question, but he'd also be upset that I didn't answer but answered altogether. There were so many rabbit holes and loops with his jealousy issues that I had yet to uncover. Hearing Charlie's name, despite how good of friends they were, made Walker considerably irritable. Even after the singular time I caught up with Malachi in Vancouver, no one can mention his name in a public setting if they don't feel like disturbing the peace. And Dylan. Do not get me started on Dylan.

I was still thinking of a way to tell Walker about the kissing scenes with Dylan in YSNITMBM. All in all, they weren't a big deal. It was a couple pecks, then it was all over. I knew that I had to mention it to him, because he was my boyfriend.

That didn't mean that I wanted to.

I dreaded the day that Dylan, Walker and I had to all be in a room together. It would happen sooner or later, at a premier for something or an event for Evy.

Trying to rid the thought from my mind, I moved onto another question. "How did Maya Fontaine and Sunny Sandler meet? Oh my god. Well, we were five and in elementary school. We were in the same class and we bonded really fast. Obviously, at some point we asked for a sleepover, and my mum wanted to meet Sunny's parents. You can imagine her disbelief when she discovered that they were Adam and Jackie Sandler."

Mindy was smiling a bit more after that question. Hopefully, the rest would be as light hearted as that one.

"Is Maya Fontaine a swiftie? Of course they ask this." I laughed, shaking my head as I placed down the board on my lap. "Yes, I am. And as much as people try to make me ashamed, I'm really, really not. My question is, why do you care what music I listen to? I don't scream and cry and attack people every time they say they listen to 21 Savage or whatever. Do I enjoy his music? No. Does that mean I have to make it my own singular personality trait and make everyone that does like him feel morbidly unhappy? No! If you don't like her music, leave it at that. And please, shut the fuck up."

I let out an intense exhale at the end of that. "Sorry, I went on a little rampage about that. It had to be said." I raised my hands in surrender, while throwing the question board over my shoulder.

——

After the interview, I called JJ to come pick me up. In the mean time, I stood in the lobby of the building with Mindy.

"I'll make a complaint, don't worry, May." She reassured me, noticing the nervous look on my face. "They shouldn't be allowed to ask a fifteen year old questions about their private life."

I sighed, letting my arms hang by my side. "It's my fault for putting my private life out there in the first place. The questions weren't even bad - they were just awkward. I can already see them getting twisted into a million different contexts."

Mindy gave me a tight lipped smile and pulled me in for a long hug. We'd become close over the six years that she'd been my manager. Especially during the time when my mom had to work multiple jobs to support me and my brothers as a single mother. She'd helped to look after not only me, but Vinnie and JJ as well.