3 years later...

Three years had passed since Natalie met the Winchesters and killed her first demon in the front yard of her apartment complex. She had helped saved the brothers from her massive neighbor who had been possessed, which warranted her a spot on the Winchester team. They mostly brought her with them so she could outrun the inevitable murder charge waiting for her had the cops gotten there before they left. Dean and Sam had fully intended on dropping her off in the next town, but they always found a reason to keep her. Now, at 21 years old, she was fighting the evils of the world that attacked mostly innocent people. In the three years, she had learned a great deal about subduing, disarming, and killing demons and other supernatural creatures. Natalie knew it would take decades to know as much as the brothers about this entire other world that existed right under her nose. It would take forever to be as strong and as talented as them. She would never give up, though. In the three years she's spent with Sam and Dean, she had grown to think of them as her older brothers. She would do anything to protect them and Nat felt like they would do the same for her.

Natalie lounged in the small, bare room that she called her own in the underground sanctuary the Men of Letters had built quite some time ago.  It was small, with a tiny twin size bed that was probably left over from the 40 or more years ago when the Men of Letters was in full swing.  It didn't matter to her though, those four concrete walls and less than comfortable bed was hers.  She didn't have much to her name, but she had a bed and a place that was all hers and that was all that mattered.  She took a room further away from the boys' rooms, as much as she loved them and enjoyed their company, Nat needed her space and time away.  She put her arms behind her head as she lay down and closed her eyes. 

She woke up to someone pounding on the door of her tiny room.  She sat bolt upright, grabbed her gun from the side table, and pointed it at the door just as Dean walked in.  He was carrying a plate of apple pie with cream on top and stopped short in the doorway when he saw the .45 staring back at him.  Nat took a deep breath and switched the safety back on before setting the gun back on the stand.  "Little, um, jumpy today aren't we?" Dean commented in his husky voice.  "Yea," she responded, "I don't know what got into me.  Just spooked from the last incident, I guess." 

They just came back from a two week endeavor in Maine battling some of the worst baddies she had seen.  There were vampires fighting werewolves and they were some of the meanest she has encountered.  She put her fingers on her neck, feeling the gash one of the vampires graced her with.  It was already scabbed over and beginning to heal but it served as a reminder that Natalie was not in control.  She had to be on her guard 24/7 or she would die.  She knew she was lucky to walk away from that scuffle with nothing but a four inch gash down her neck.

"Well, Rambo, I brought you some pie."  Dean walked into the room and set the plate down on the side table next to the gun.  He stood by her bed as Nat criss-crossed her legs, resting her elbows on her knees and her temples between her fingers.  "Hey kid, how you feeling?" he cocked his head to the side and furrowed his brow waiting for her answer.  "I'm fine, Dean.  Just a little sore and, you know, scabbing." she forced a laugh.  In three years she had never come so close to death.  It didn't deter her from working with the Winchesters, it was only a wake up call and forced her to realize she was not indestructible.  She was human and she had limits.

"We've all had these days, kid.  Hell, I've seen some of the best hunters get taken down by a friggin ghost.  It was your first run-in with death, but it sure as hell won't be your last.  You just gotta get back on the horse and kill some more of those assholes."  Dean tried empathetically.  He had his fair share of brushes with death, even met him a couple times.  Every time was just as scary as the first though.

"I'm fine, Dean.  Really.  It was scary in the moment, but I'm a big girl and I'll get over it."  Nat dropped her arms and swung her legs over the bed so she was perched on edge.  Facing Dean she smiled, "What's the next assignment, sensei? I think we should take something in Mississippi, I've always liked the south.  We could go to the beach while we're there.  Maybe join in a Civil War Re-enactment!" Natalie playfully lunged from her spot on the bed at Dean, pretending to wield a sword, "En guard, peasant!"

Dean put his arm up in defense of her pretend sword and took a step backward toward the door.  "Why are you so weird?" he smiled at her.  Natalie laughed and shuffled her feet side to side, in a dramatic fake French accent, "Monsieur, your arm of steel is no match for my blade of mercury!  One cut and you will slowly descend into madness!"  With this, she lunged once more at Dean, pretending to stab him right in the stomach, "Oh look, you're descent into madness has already begun!" she laughed loudly and Dean grabbed her around the neck and put her in a headlock.  Still laughing she yelled at him to let go of her.  "Oh I don't think so, little girl.  I'm a madman, remember?"

The two were still goofing off when Sam came around the corner.  They both stopped and straightened up immediately, like they were children caught doing something they shouldn't be.  "Hey, Sammy. Whatcha got for us?" Dean asked casually.  Sam's brows furrowed and he looked back and forth between Dean and Natalie before finally explaining, "It seems we have some serious demon activity in Louisiana.  Again."  At the same time Dean groaned in despair, Natalie squealed with delight.