Introduction

As an American, I have always been told of the great battles fought in our country's short history. Of course we were told about how great our military is. Ever since I can remember, I can remember watching all the documentaries of the important battles that our military has fought in order to claim victory and glory for our country. There have been many famous battles that were fought, from the decisive battle of Yorktown to win us the American Revolution to Operation Phantom Fury in the war in Iraq. But this brings up a big question to me. What about the stories that are not told. Obviously all of us were taught about the Battle of the Bulge and how the brave Americans were trapped and won against all odds against a numerically superior force. But behind all of these big known battles, are engagements that have been pushed into the shadows of the major battles that we remember. We as a people are always looking for the biggest story. Either it being movies, books, or even news, we prefer to learn about the things that impact us the most. To me that is a shame, we choose to overlook the stories that set up the big picture. This is especially true when in comes to warfare. All of the stories that we never learn letting them erode to history because they might not have such an impact on our lives today. Throughout this book, I will dig deeper into the battles, stories, and experiences that may have not been taught to us in school. From the Defeat of St. Clair by the Native Northwestern Confederacy in the Ohio Valley in 1791, to the brief (interaction) between U.S. forces and Russian Mercenaries in Syria in 2018. I will be diving deep into the Unknown battles in American history.