trials and tribulations pt. 3

Start from the beginning

"Hi lo, how are you?" she greeted, lauren smacked her lips,"girl same old same old. how are you? how's work? you told me you were working for some designer?" she quizzed.

onika's smile dropped at the mention of her job, she let out a groan as she rolled her eyes.

the thought of Ms. Knowles made her eyes roll and her body shiver.

"girl, what's wrong?" lauren pried and onika pouted as she turned off the light of her small bathroom and made her way through the sharp walls of her apartment. "she's not the—nicest to say the least." she murmured. lauren suddenly sat up in her bed and frowned.

"so shes a bitch?" lauren flatly questioned, onika couldn't help but burst out in lauyghter for a moment at the vulgar language.

"lo!"

lauren rolled her eyes in response. "i'm serious! you're so sweet, why would she be rude to you?" she asked and onika had to genuinely think. she hadn't done anything wrong, she's tried giving her flowing, being quiet, quickly following orders..

"I don't know, maybe shes just always mad." onika shrugged casually, lauren wouldn't stand for it however.

"well she still sounds like she's being a bitch. you got yourself wet from a car wash for that woman and she ain't even say thank you?!"  lauren complained. she was a big advocator for onika, forever and always, even when she couldn't physically be there for her.

she knew her sister deserved the best.

"it's not a big deal." onika attempted to reason as she walked to her bedroom, making a b line for her closet.

"onika—yes the fuck it is. you don't deserve to be treated like shit!" lauren exclaimed passionately, onika sighed, letting her shoulders hang.

"listen, I know i deserve respect—i'm not a pushover. but i also know I need this job. i can't just quit because she's rude to me. there's much more on the line than my dignity lo." onika whispered the last part, though lauren heard.

a twist of guilt birthed itself within the older sisters guts.

"I don't want you dealing with a verbal abuser for the sake of me." lauren mumbled, staring at the side of her sisters face with pity. she hated that she was in the situation, bed ridden, suffering, but she hated even more that onika was going through so much to help her.

onika only smiled in response, lauren's guilt was no match for onikas heart. "cheer up lo. she's not that bad. i'll just get used to her." she shrugged, looking through her new wardrobe that felt too expensive to touch.

ariana took her shopping as a gift, onika refused over and over but the older woman just wanted to show her some gratitude and onika took the chance to buy more professional clothing for work.

"oni.." she heard lauren sigh out,

"yeah?"

"if she really starts crossing a line you better give her some attitude. I swear. I ain't raise a push over."

"I know lo." onika sighed out, a small smile tugged at her lips.

"but you also didn't raise a quitter."