When the Party's over

I didn't really want to question why Zach Davis was in a library in the first place, considering I had more important things to worry about. But as he held me there, nostrils flared like some kind of wild bull, I couldn't help but wonder what on earth was running through that thick head of his. It felt like time slowed down as he shoved me into the shelf for a third time, my ears ringing and vision blurred. I felt something warm trickle down the back of my neck as my head slammed back into the wooden frame. I knew he was asking me something, spit flew from his mouth as he spoke, but the words never reached me. I was tired. Tired of people like Zach, people who thought they could get away with anything just because they were rich.

"Get off me Zach," I mumbled, the words not quite forming properly in my weary state.

"Don't you get it, y/n? You're not getting away this time." He said, mocking sympathy as one of his hands came to rest on my cheek, wiping off some blood that had fallen from a cut on my forehead – the result of a book flying from it's place in the tussle. His touch was lighter than before; I knew he was messing with me when he wiped the red substance on my shirt, a disgusted look on his face at the sight of my wound. He glanced down at the new stain and tutted. "You know, you really could have prevented all of this if you hadn't tried to be a hero." His smirk widened when he saw the fear in my eyes, his satisfaction growing with my pain. He raised a fist, enjoying the way I flinched and closed my eyes. I waited for the feeling of his hand against my face, but it never came; his grip on my arm disappeared, leading me to nervously open my eyes. Red tendrils snaked around his body, encasing his limbs and forcing him to lift off the ground in front of me.

"Leave her alone," Wanda warned, her red eyes glowing fiercely under the flickering lights as she stepped closer to the trembling boy. Her fingers moved slowly, causing the restraints to tighten around Zach, his whimpers turning into screams as one entered his head. "You will never even think about hurting y/n again. Do you understand me?" She tilted her head and came to a stop a few metres in front of him, waiting for an appropriate response. His body convulsed violently, a desperate attempt to escape whatever nightmare Wanda had induced, yet no sound left his lips. My heart pounded against my rib cage as I watched, praying that he would acquiesce so I never had to run from him again. The taste of blood reminded me that I was injured, pulling my attention away from the scene,  making me lift a hand to my forehead. I winced as my fingers grazed the cut, forcing Wanda to look at me. Her jaw tightened at the sight, and any glimmer of mercy left her eyes.

Eventually the boy stopped moving; his limbs hung uselessly in the air, held only by the strands of magic. He had given up.

"Fine," Zach spat out. Tears streamed down his flushed cheeks, his eyes wide with fear and embarrassment as Wanda released her control of his mind. She seemed to weigh up the truth of his statement before issuing one final warning, "If you ever tell anyone about this, I will kill you." Both Zach and I could tell she wasn't bluffing as he frantically nodded, a silent sob caught in his throat.

With a flick of her wrist, Wanda let him go, and the boy fell to the ground with a thud. He scrambled to get up and sprinted out the door, not daring to look back at me or the Witch, whose eyes flashed red as he passed.

The redhead wasted no time in rushing over to me, kneeling on the ground as her hands brushed against the gash on my forehead. I didn't shy away from her touch. I knew I should have been scared of her, especially after seeing what her powers could do, but I wasn't. I let Wanda assess my injuries, I was too tired to protest. When I felt I had given her enough time to check me over, I finally spoke up, "Thank you." Her green eyes furrowed slightly as she gazed into mine, her hand lightly gripping my shoulder.

"You don't need to thank me, y/n." Her thumb rubbed gently against my skin as she stood up. "Would you like me to take you home?"

"No, my aunt would probably faint if she saw me like this," I said, letting out a big sigh. I was just so tired.

"Is there anywhere else you can go?" She asked, leading me out of the library and onto the street. I shook my head; Sam would probably have a similar response if he saw me. Wanda nodded, hearing my thoughts. She wrapped her scarf around me when she realised I was shivering. "Would you like to come back to mine?"

I nodded, desperately needing a safe place to escape to.

The journey to her house was a blur, my mind too tired to take in the details of the world around me. My body moved on autopilot, dragging me through the forest and eventually into the cottage. Wanda closed the door behind us, and I felt like I could finally breathe.

"You can go and make yourself comfortable while I get us drinks," the woman offered, gesturing toward the living room on the left side of the hall. I gave her a small smile and did as she said, settling down on what had to be the comfiest sofa in the world. I closed my heavy eyes, and let the soft cushions embrace me. My altercation with Zach had drained all my energy; I was barely able to even look at Wanda when she walked in, cradling two mugs of hot chocolate. "I wasn't sure what you liked. I could always get you something else," she said, easing herself down next to me after handing me one.

"This is perfect, thank you," I replied, shutting down her worries. Sipping the sweet drink, I let out a sigh of comfort, my worries disappearing the longer I stayed with Wanda. I was certain that Zach wouldn't tell anyone about what had happened in the library – Wanda had made sure of that. I also knew that he would never bother me again. Yet, a part of me felt guilty that she had risked her own safety to protect me. If anyone had seen the incident then she'd have to move again, losing another home. And that would have been my fault.

The redhead shifted on the couch, placing her mug on the coffee table before moving closer to me. "Nobody saw, and Zach isn't going to tell anyone," she assured me.

"Are my thoughts just that loud?" I inquired, a hint of amusement in my voice.

A smile played at her lips. "Even louder than Tony Stark."

"Wow, I'm assuming that's not a compliment." I retorted, rolling my eyes playfully and setting my mug aside to fold my hands in my lap.

"It just means you care," she shrugged, her eyes shining brightly into mine.

"Yeah I guess it does."