(15) peeling oranges

Six Months Later

Six Months Later

Life went on as it did.

No. Wait. That was not true anymore.

There was a wall, Hitomi thought. A wall between her and the strongest duo. They still talked, they were close and still trained together; but even then there was a wall in between them. Gojo trained harder and harder even though he was already the strongest and went on more missions alone. Geto was going on more solo missions too and swallowing too many curses. The events that had transpired all those months ago had caused an increase in cursed activity everywhere.

There were always missions to go to. Missions upon missions upon missions. But not with her friends. It was just here, or maybe her juniors sometimes, but usually just her.

Curses. Curses. And more curses.

Missions. Missions. And more missions.

Never a moment to rest. Never a moment to breathe. Just exorcizing curses all the damn time.

Hitomi wanted to sleep. She wanted a break. She wanted to be alone. But she also wanted her friends. Shoko was getting busy too, as more and more people got injured and more and more cursed corpses came in. She desperately missed Gojo and Geto, more than she probably should.

She stumbled down the hallway, walking towards the open courtyard at the school that was her hiding place. No one came to it because of its isolated location and that is what she preferred. Only Gojo and Geto came here and neither of them were gonna be there today. More missions to go on.

Outside, the sun was setting, casting orange and reddish hues across the sky. Hitomi stepped off the wooden pathway and onto the rocky and grassy area of the courtyard. She sat down in a comfortable spot and pulled out the oranges she had brought on her way back from her mission. As she peeled the first orange, Hitomi called out to Izuki, 'Izuki, are you there?'

Immediately, she could feel the presence of her second soul. 'For you, I am always here.'

It was nice to have Izuki with her. It was a comforting reminder that in the end, while she was technically alone, she was not actually alone. Knowing Izuki was like knowing a kind older brother. Izuki was quiet, but she could still feel his presence. She was not alone.

And yet...she felt alone.

She chewed on the orange piece harshly, the juice exploding inside her mouth. The orange was sweet, slightly tangy and...well, it was citrus-y. Mindlessly, she kept on chewing on the orange pieces till she was already finished with the first one. When she went to grab the second one, she bristled.

Hitomi felt the two familiar cursed energies enveloping her and the surroundings. Their power was always a dead giveaway to their presence. At least to her. Then again, she knew them both pretty well and knew how to identify their cursed energies.