Chapter 4: I Am Thou, Thou Art I

In Zack’s dreams

He passed through a blue door through the darkness, and once he was inside, he saw two people standing in front of him.

The Mysterious Old Gentleman says “Welcome to the Velvet Room. My is Igor. I am delighted to make your acquaintance.”

Igor looked at the girl next to him and said, “This is Elizabeth. She’s a resident here, like myself.”

Elizabeth says “Pleased to meet you.”

Igor said, “This place exists between dream and reality, mind and matter… Only those have signed the contract can enter this place.”

Then something blue shined on the table, and it turned into the document that Zack signed at the dorm.

Igor says “From now on, you shall be welcome here as a guest in the Velvet Room. You are destined to hone your unique ability, and you will require my assistance to do so. I only ask one thing in return… Abide by your contact, and assume full responsiblity for the choices you make.”

Zack nodded and said, “All right.”

Igor says “Hold on to this.”

Then something blue above Zack’s head came down, and once it reached his hand, he saw it was the ‘Velvet Key’.

Igor said, “Until we meet again…”

4/9

In the Early Morning

Zack was getting ready.

He looks at his phone and says in his head “It feels like I had a strange dream… it’s time to go to school.” and he closed his phone.

At Gekkoukan High’s Gate

Zack was walking and was stopped when he heard Junpei’s voice say “Yo… I’m so sleepy.”

Zack turned his head to see him and Junpei said, “In times like these, the best course of action is to sleep during class! That adrenaline rush you get from dozing odd right in front of the teacher can really spice up your dreams.”

Zack says “I know what you mean, man.”

Junpei says “It’s real addicting, ain’t it? After you build up the courage to do it once, you gotta try it again! …Then again, since I’m not listening to the lecture, I’m pretty much screwed later! Oh, but we have classic literature today… That means we’re stuck with Mr. Nasty ol’ Ekoda.”

Zack said, “Junpei, come on, man. I’m sure it’ll be fine. Besides, we got each other for class, right?”

Junpei nods and says “You’re right. Who couldn’t get excited to see us in class!”

Zack shakes his head as they walk to class.

In the Classroom

In the Morning

Mr. Ekoda says “Ahem… I’m Mr. Ekoda. I’ll be your classic literature teacher. We’ll be learning all about good old Japan through some truly great stories. Exciting, right? Now, some people say classic lit isn’t relevant anymore, but oh, are they wrong!”

Zack was already getting tired of hearing this guy talk.

Mr. Ekoda said, “The students, the other teachers– they don’t know what they’re talking about! Nobody really understands it like they should…”

Zack says in his head, “I’m feeling sleepy… Should I close my eyes for a few minutes?”

Zack shook his head as he decided to stay awake.