the coven

The train glided smoothly into the underground level of Prague Main Station. As it slowed, the rhythmic clacking of wheels against the tracks gradually faded into silence.
Eve stayed still and sat patiently on a tufted, ruby sofa, ignoring the noise and clamour surrounding her.
And there was a lot of noise. Her mother directed orders at the Death Dealers. Someone talked over the phone; the station platform buzzed with activity as travellers hurriedly made their way to their next destination.

Yet everything the hybrid girl could think of was the place where they were going - The Eastern Coven. Not too long before, the very thought of it made her feel afraid. Now, that Eve fully understood what being an Elder meant, she knew just how important her mother was. Thanks to it, she had a newfound sense of confidence. If my mum gets treated like a queen, nothing terrible can happen to me... she was snapped back to reality by her mother, who instructed Eve to hold her hand and follow her to the car.

The large, seven-seater SUV fitted them all comfortably. They drove in uninterrupted silence, but Eve's curiously took over the girl once again.
"Mum? How come they are not burning in the sunlight?"
"The car has UV-blocking windows," she answered.
"And how will they get out of it?" The girl asked, looking questioningly at her mother.
"We will park in the garage, you nosy, curious little thing," the woman shook her head and half-smiled at her daughter, looking out the window, carefully scanning her surroundings. Selene could not help but stare at her child. Involuntary, a smile crept onto her face. It was safe to say - she was head over heels for this child and would not let a single soul harm her.

The Eastern Coven loomed before, in all of its greatness and splendour. Even though noon had just struck, the gothic palace seemed as sleepy as ever, with its pointed arch windows shut tightly, not allowing any light in - a dead giveaway that its occupants were far from ordinary. Eve marvelled at the sight, inspected it closely and tried to take it all in before their vehicle disappeared into the garage.
Varga exited the car first and opened the doors for the girl and her mother. Their heavy footsteps echoed as they walked briskly through a dark, beautifully decorated corridor. And the three other Death Dealers followed closely behind them.
Selene opened a pair of heavy, double mahogany doors to reveal a breathtaking main hall - as impressive as the palace's exterior. Magnificent antique paintings and engravings hung on sable oak-panelled walls. Marble tile stretched across the floor to where the double main staircase rose toward the upper levels of the coven. A grand lighted ceiling candelabra shined down on a young man who smiled at them warmly.

"David!" the girl shouted excitedly. The moment Eve realised who the man was, she darted in his direction and pulled him into a hug.
"Eve," he laughed, "hello to you too. It's been too long," the man pulled away from the girl, "Look at you, you've grown so much."
Selene stood beside them and put her pale hands on her daughter's shoulder. "Do not make a scene, you two," she said, delicately shaking her head, "the last thing we need right now is an excessive amount of attention," the vampiress said disapprovingly.
The teenager looked down at her feet in embarrassment. David let out an overly loud sigh.
"Except for a few Death Dealers, everyone else is resting at the moment. It's the middle of the day, after all," remarked the young man.
Selene's ever-so-stoic impression went slightly irritated. She gave the other Elder a look, choosing to ignore his words and began to climb the stairs.
"Come along now, Eve," she said calmly, mentally scolding herself for most likely scaring her daughter, "I'll show you to your room."
The woman did not have to utter any more words. The sole mention of the bedroom got the girl momentarily storming up the stairs behind her mother.

The mother and daughter walked in comfortable silence through the grand halls of the palace, as Selene led them to the top floor of the west wing that only she occupied, not for long now. They passed by a small library and what seemed like a salon. Soon, Eve's eyes caught a glimpse of a secluded burgundy corridor. Some steps in, Selene nodded in the direction of a door and spoke, "We're here," she smiled at the girl, "Would you like to open the door yourself?"
Eve went ahead and cautiously pushed open a heavy wooden door. Inside, she discovered an antique bedroom that looked frozen in time.

The black-panelled room was a treasure trove of elegance. A four-poster bed draped in royal blue velvet curtains stood against the door-facing wall. On the left, a vanity with a triptych mirror reflected Eve's awe-struck expression back at her. The bedroom looked freshly cleaned - its air was thick with the scent of lavender and clean linens. The girl's big blue eyes welled with tears. I can't believe she had it all ready for me. She actually wants me here.

"Do you like it?" Selene's voice broke the silence. "I hope it's alright, to your liking," she added.
"It's so beautiful, I love it," the girl reassured, kissing her mother on the cheek, "thank you."
Relieved, she let the air out and silently praised herself.
"Here, look," the woman pointed at two doors next to each other on the left side of the bedroom, "that's your bathroom. And this is your dressing room," she opened the doors quickly and let Eve take a peek. Walking to the right side, she pointed at another door, "I hope you will be alright with this," she said, opening the door, "but I picked this bedroom for you because it adjoins mine by this lounge room." The room looked exceptionally cosy and comfortable, its dark green walls decorated with tapestries and paintings. In the centre stood a large plush sofa facing a beautiful ornate fireplace.
"And this door, right there, leads to my room," Selene informed.
All Eve could do at the moment was to nod. She plopped down heavily on the sofa and sighed. The sight filled the woman with utmost worry. Momentarily, she thought she had done something wrong.
"What is it, my girl?" She asked, sitting down.
The teenager saw her mother's worried expression and got upset at herself.
"Nothing, I'm sorry," said Eve, "I just can't believe you did all of this for me, that any of this is really happening," she explained.
These words calmed Selene yet also stung her deep inside. She was a terrible excuse of a mother before. To the point that even the simplest things that any mother should do for her child seem miraculous to Eve.
The woman took her daughter's hands into hers, "I know I failed you before. I know that I am cold and distant at times," she sniffed, "but I swear to you, I will try to make it up." She made circles with her thumb on the girl's hand and looked at her reassuringly.
And so they stayed that way for a while, sitting together, enjoying one another's company in silence.

Selene left Eve to settle down and get used to her new surroundings. Exhausted, both physically and mentally, she threw herself onto her bed. The vampiress started long and hard into the coffered ceiling, thoughts rumbling through her mind.

When she was leaving, around a week ago, Selene did not fully expect that she would manage to find her daughter. It did not help that both David and Varga shared her doubts. In spite of that, the woman chose to be hopeful like she'd never been before. The woman left worried and doubtful and came back overjoyed. She finally had her child by her side. No matter what is to come, they will be alright because they will face it together.