four

dhruv agarwal

"Did you drop Yashi didi home safely?", this little gremlin asks as I try to feed her another bite of bread.

"I'll only answer if you eat another bite", I make a deal with her. I sigh as she runs off again. She normally eats on her own ,very neatly and obediently but today is just not one of those days. She has been grumpy since coming back from kathak and wanted to not be talked to or touched so mom just let her be until it was dinner time.

It was 8 when I started feeding her with some rice and moong ki Dal, her favourite lentil of the week but she barely had any of it.

Therefore I toasted some bread with butter and made a quick strawberry jam before I settled her on the dinner table again.

Mom has been extremely busy with opening another boutique so I have been extra diligent in taking care of Ananya which clearly isn't working.

"I don't wanna eat this. The jam is burnt, bhaiya. I want milk. I'll rather drink milk than eat this yucky jam", she insults my cooking skills while making faces at me.

I show her my tongue while she laughs at me before dialing mom's number. Mom doesn't pick up. Shocker. I roll my eyes before calling Aryan.

"Bro", I start.

"Can I call you later?", he rudely cuts me off. He half pants-half speaks before muting the call.

"Oh god. Are you with Lavanya?", I question wanting to end this call already.

"Yes I'll call you later. Bye man. I am sor-", he pants and i cut the call before I could hear something unholy.

I text yashvi first.

Bro Ananya's not eating
She'll listen to you.
Tell her to eat please.

Okok.
Call me.
I'll convine her.

Btw she had some dal rice
and toast.

I dial Yashvi's number and put it on speaker.

"Hi", I say in a sing song voice. Ananya creeps up behind me.

"Hi. Can I call you later? I am actually having dinner right now", she says emphasising on dinner. I look at my little gremlin knowing she's cooking up some thing in her head.

"Oh dinner. What are you havin?", I ask.

"Just some dal and rice. They are my favorite after all. I am also thinking of having some kind of toasted bread with jam", she says while making a 'mmm' sound. Ananya pinches my arm before mumbling "mujhe bhi khana hai".

I sigh happily before thanking her.

"Wait", she says as we say our byes.

"Call me tonight,please", she says rather shyly. A light blush coats my cheeks as I squeak a sure and quickly cut the call.

___♡___

A giddiness washes over me as I lay in my bed staring at the ceiling. I look at the digital clock on the side table.

11:43

I pick up my phone and go to instagram. I see paridhi's story pop up and click on it. A picture of her and Yashvi fills my screen where Yashvi balances the pen on top of her mouth. It's caption caught my attention. Last few alone moments with my Luz long.

(A/N:do we like this?)

Was she perhaps telling Paridhi about today's events?

I could not stay at Yashvi's house for too long. As we discussed about our crushes on each other, mom called me almost 10 minutes later demanding my presence due to missing Mrs Sundihi's class.

I click on Yashvi's profile and stalk her for a bit and then send her a text. Hi. I immediately see bubbles form. Hi. I fluff my hair a little bit and apply a bit of vaseline on my dry lips before I click the video call button without thinking much. I could see Yashvi distorted picture before it finally became clear. Her glasses were perched on her nose whilst she held a black pen in her hand.

"Hi", it comes out a little scratchy and I clear my throat whilst Yashvi chuckles.

She settles her head on her legs which are perched up and mumbles a small hi. A yawn escapes her lips as she tiredly rubs her eyes.

"Kya kar rahi thi?",I ask her. She simply smiles at me before letting out another tired yawn.

"Just trying to do some math. Thik se ho nahi raha. Pehle bhi kara hua hai and I am still struggling", she answers frustrated. Looking down at her book she ties her hair in a lose bun and sighs.

"It's okay. Don't worry. Where are you struggling?", I ask her genuinely. The thing is we are so used to making fun of each other sometimes things like this comes off teasing which is not the intention. So when she shakes her head and closes the book I am not really surprised.

She gets up and pushes the door to her bathroom and sets the phone on one of the shelves beside her mirror. "I just wanna wash my face and do some skincare. Do you mind?"

"I don't actually. Continue what you are doing",I shoo her with my hands. I like how she is comfortable not shying away or hiding herself from me. I have come to realize I like being in Yashvi's personal routines whether it's her getting ready or picking out her outfits for an event or just doing her work.

It started one night in 6th grade when I was stuck on a particular math problem. I called Yashvi and we had to switch to a video call so that she could better explain it to me. I was very nervous seeing Yashvi apart from school and in her own habitat but it was really calming. She would ever so often scratch Nimi, her cat or tie her hair in a loose bun without a hairtie.

From that day we have been video calling eachother once a week and I am hoping to change that and make it to atleast thrice a week.

Finally she puts on her moisturizer and applies a lip balm while making a pouty face. "Mujhe kissi chahiye", I mumble low enough for her not to hear but of course she heard it.

"Kal dungi. Tension mat le", she says back. I am stuck for a moment not knowing how to respond back. Whilst laughing Yashvi braides her hair and finally set herself on her bed and slids into the comforter.

I yawn. "Sleep", she commands. "but stay on the call please", she says ever so softly that it melts my heart. I keep my phone on the side desk balancing it with my digital clock as she does the same.

We mumble our goodnights and eyes clouds with sleep. I could still make out Yashvi blowing me a kiss as sleep washes over me.

"Goodnight baby boy, dream of me"