𝟏𝟎 | 𝐅𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐟𝐚𝐦𝐢𝐥𝐲.

Start from the beginning

"How would you know?" Andrea's tone sharpened when he looked at Amy in a unpleasant manner. "All you've done the past few hours is snort your problems away."

His shift in their direction made the woman stand in front of her sister as a human shield against the vile human being who had been nothing but rude since he and his little brother joined them.

"He's a Army vet." Daryl said lowly in attempt to shut Merle up.

"You were in the army?" I asked in disbelief. The honorable men and woman I've met throughout the years active or  not were all so different in comparison.

"That's right. What, hard to believe a man like me would serve my country just like your guy did?" He tried poking at her to enter a verbal sparring match. One that Shane didn't allow.

"Watch it, man." He warned.

"So you had yourself a soldier, huh?" Merle looked for any way to get under the mans skin as they came face to face.

"Shane don't. He's not worth it." My hand slipped around his forearm trying to stop a fight before it started.

"Nah, man. Lemme ask you something. Why is it that the best and bravest are fighting against the walking dead right now, but your ass is here consuming enough drugs to put down a horse and being a pain in all of our asses?"

"Whoa, Cherry Topper. I already fought in my time."

"This is a waste of time." Glenn wanted to get back to danger at hand.

The redneck turned his attention towards the young man. "Back when I fought for my country it wasn't for slanted—''

"Merle," Daryl warned with a shout to mask over whatever would slip from his brothers mouth.

"What little brother? I'm just saying it how it is. How do we know that your boy even knew the truth about what was going on? We just gonna take the word of soldier who was called in last minute to —''

"Show some respect when you talk about my family. I don't give a damn what you use to—."  Shane tore my hand from his arm when closing in on the redneck who couldn't wipe the smile off his smug face.

"He's a Marine!" Carl's disheartening shout stunned all of us into temporary truce.

Shane turned from Merle who's eyes were widened at the news. He came over to squat down in front of Carl. His softened way of being provided as much comfort as he could give. "We talked about this, buddy. Nate—"

"He's not dead. He's going to find us and when he does you'll be sorry." The best threat that a twelve year old could give was hand in hand with the glare he stared down the older Redneck with.

"The Marines were part of the fallen soldiers?" Dale's thick gray eyebrows were raised in fear.

"This is worse than we thought." Andrea muttered.

"We still don't know if there's—" It was Merle who cut Amy off with a statement that surprisingly didn't contain any disrespect for once. "Marines are who you call when shit goes south, blonde. If they're on the ground there ain't nothing left to save. The Air Force's little firework display had to be the final act."