𝐎𝐍𝐄

Y/N, Monse, Jamal and Ruby all look over a brick into a party that consisted of horny young adults who were all partying, smoking, drinking and making out. "Do you see him? I don't see him." Monse asks the other three. "Something bad is happening. I can feel it. I knew this was a dumb idea." Jamal says.

"Pop a zannie, J. We can't see him cause he's being stealth." Ruby assures him. "No doubt. He's got this. When has Cesar ever disappointed?" Monse says. "Mmm, fourth grade. Kickball tourney. We lost." Jamal adds.

"Only cause I picked the kid with no skills. And I'd pick you again." Cesar says tossing Jamal a beer who struggles to catch it. "Loyalty trumps victory, compa." Cesar continues as he gives Y/N, Ruby and Monse a beer. "Take it in. This is about to be us. This is high school." Cesar says.

The five teenagers take swig of beer before Monse speaks "Ruby, you think your brother's gonna marry Angelica?" she asks. "No idea. Mario tells me jack." Ruby responds. Jamal chuckles "What about that time he said Angelica has a dangler?" he says and Ruby glances in his direction. "But he said that..."

"In private! Time and place, dude." Ruby scolds.

"Oh, guys, check out Huerita at nine o'clock. Y/N, Monse, if you two were girls-" Ruby starts to say but gets interrupted. "We are girls."

"Yeah, but if you two were a girls like that, would you wear underwear?" Ruby asks earning a eye roll from Monse and Y/N. "Oh, my God, I'm gonna die. I'm gonna die. I'm gonna die." Jamal says. "Why are you gonna die?" Y/N asks him.

"Those guys play for the 'Ridge. Did you know that last year alone over a quorum of kids-"
Jamal says before being cut off by Monse. "Died playing football? You're stuck on repeat. So, don't play." she tells him. "No choice. My pops was a legend. It's family tradition. I'm dead." Jamal exhales and inhales as he steps away from the wall. "Jamal..." Y/N says stepping away as she goes over to assure him along with Monse.

"You're not dead." Monse tells him.

"Football spiral?" Cesar asks as Jamal hyperventilates and whimpers.

"Jamal, CTE is not in your future." Cesar assures him. "Guys, check out my game. Huerita just gave me the nod." Ruby says before being grabbed by the back of his throat "Ah!"

"Are you eyeing my girl, cabřon?" Sad Eyes said to him. "No. God, no. I'm not into blondes." Ruby says. "Easy, he does your mom's taxes. Mrs. Guzman, right?" Cesar inputs. "Three thousand dollar refund. Schedule C, line 30, home office deduction." Ruby says.

"Seriously, dude?" Monse says.

Another person comes up to the wall and comes up to where Ruby was "Yo, what are you doing, ese? That's Spooky's little bro, dawg."

Sad eyes lets go of Ruby "I didn't realize it was you, homie. Hey, listen, tell Spooky, Sad Eyes sends respects. Alright? Let's get out of here." Sad says as he and the other guy leave.

"Thank God for your brother." Ruby spoke holding his neck. "Don't. Thank God for better things." Cesar says and not a split second later there were gunshots. The people in the party and the five friends scattered. "That one was a .38." Monse spoke. "No, it was a .45." Jamal disagreed.

"It sounded like a .44." Ruby says.

"Wrong!" Jamal says. There was then another gunshot ".357!" the five teenagers say as they all continue running.

...

Back at Ruby's house, Ruby, Cesar and Jamal all look out the window at Mario and Angelica arguing. Well, more like Angelica chewing Mario out. "Angelica's pissed." Jamal pointed out.

"She's always pissed." Ruby added. "You would be too if you had a dangler." Jamal says before Ruby and Cesar look at him. "What? She's making Mario cry." Jamal says. "My brother doesn't cry." The three of them look out the window and see Mario wiping tears.

"Dude, he's crying." Ruby says before Cesar walks over and sits down where Y/N and Monse were. Y/N was too busy in her own world to hear what Cesar had said to Monse but she did hear what Monse responded with "Nada. My brain is empty. Do I really need some stupid writing camp? I don't wanna waste my summer." Monse says.

"Woah, wait what?" Y/N spoke adding herself to the conversation. "Monse, you're not gonna waste your summer or your time." she says and Cesar points to her in agreement. "Exactly, It's not a waste, it's badass. Not everyone can get in, even the kids who pay. But... you'll need this." Cesar hands her a small journal. "It's for writing your stories and maybe an old school letter or two, for your favorite?"

Jamal and Ruby run over to the couch "Here comes waterworks." The five of them run over to the other couch and the order was: Cesar, Y/N, Monse, Jamal and Ruby. Mario comes in and slams the door. "Were you guys spying on me?" Mario says. Monse, Y/N, Cesar and Ruby shake their heads and Jamal nods before being nudged by Ruby.

Mario stares at the five of them before crying again. "You okay, homie?" Cesar speaks up. "Yes. No. I don't know." Mario paces before stopping in front of the teenagers. "Look at you. On the verge of high school. All the excitement. All the firsts. First parties, first football games, first love. Want me to drop some knowledge?"

"Not really?"

"No, I don't think you should."

"We're good."

"High school, it's the foundation for the rest of your life. Any false starts could lead to your own dead end. Now sure, you guys are smart, setting curves and all that, but you still have to go hard, cause there's only one chance at a first impression. So do you wanna sit on the sidelines or do you want play in the game?" Mario says.

"I just don't wanna die." Jamal spoke up.

"Is Mario high?" Monse asked. "Yes, he's high... on life and memories... and some seriously good indo. What I was saying is work hard, put your heart out there, even if it's broken by some bitch you've known since Mr. Estrada's seventh grade social studies. Anyway... uh... what I was saying, and you may want to write this down... Don't go into high school without back-up. You guys need to stick together to survive. Got it?" Mario rants and Y/N, Cesar, Jamal, Ruby and Monse nod.

"I'm going to college, mofos!" Mario says startling the five on the couch. "Now, kiss my class ring." Mario holds out his ring and Ruby looks at him weird before kissing it.

"What the freak?"

"Is he kidding me?"

"That's why you don't smoke that stuff."

"Damn, I almost forgot. One last thing: don't bone Y/N or Monse." Mario says walking off and causing all five of the teenagers to laugh. "Why would anyone want to do that?" Monse says laughing.