53. Strongaryen

"King Larys has a nice ring to it." Vaera remarked as she got ready.

"I am always your willing and ready servant." Larys assured.

"I still can't believe he stripped her of her titles, the boys too." Vaera whispered. "He protected her for so long-"

"The council heard her declare it, he couldnt remain ignorant." Larys offered.

"I'm still so sorry she accused you of such things." Vaera added.

"Oh its alright." Larys assured considering it was true. "I dont care what she has to say. Only you."

Vaera let her hair fall in silver waves down her shoulders. She wore a similar red dress as her daughters and Mattheo wore a silky red shirt to match Larys. Larys and Mattheo's shirts had beautiful black and gold detailing just like Vaeras dress. Larys stared back at himself in the mirror. THey were going to be in charge.

"Do you think I can wear my cookie crown from when I was little when I'm crowned?" Vaera questioned.

"I think your father would agree to anything." Larys agreed.

"Can I make new rules and laws? I never really paid much attention during meetings unless my uncle Daemon was there but he was usually covering my ears because he was saying bad words." Vaera added. "I dont know what I'm going to do when I'm queen."

"You have me." Larys remarked. "We will help each other."

"I hope my daddy lives forever."

Larys could only hope that his own children loved him as much as Vaera loved her own father after all this time.

"Ah, my favorite mini Vaeras." Viserys declared as the girls ran to hug Viserys. Vaera giggled as they smiled up at their grandsire.

"Hi daddy." Vaera answered moving to him.

"I got my sword!" Mattheo held it up to Viserys. "I protect queen mommy."

"Thats good, very good." Viserys agreed. "You nervous?"

"A little bit. Dont die for a long time okay?" Vaera requested.

"I'm planning on living a while longer." Viserys assured.

"Can I wear my cookie crown?"

"Of course." Viserys agreed.

"Is everything okay daddy?" Vaera questioned.

''Oh yes, everything is perfect. But.. There's something else that I need to tell you both. It might be difficult for you to understand, but you must hear it... I told Rhaenyra ages ago but I dont think she truly listened to me. Can you listen Vaera?"

"I can." Vaera assured giving him her full attention.

"Should I go?" larys questioned.

"I'm going to tell him anyways." Vaera remarked. "Is it a secret?"

"I think its best if he knows too, Larys will help you." Viserys agreed. Larys grabbed her hand as they sat beside Viserys on the couch.

"Our histories... they tell us that Aegon looked across the Blackwater from Dragonstone, and saw a rich land ripe for the capture. But ambition alone is not what drove him to conquest. It was a dream. And just as Daenys foresaw the end of Valyria, Aegon foresaw the end of the world of men.' Viserys told them. ''Tis to begin with a terrible winter gusting out of the distant north.''

"You think something bad is coming?" Vaera whispered. Great he was giving her the empire and telling her the world was ending.

"I dont know, it was a dragon dream. Some dreams happen quickly others are prophesized centuries in advance." Viserys informed her.  'Aegon saw absolute darkness riding on those winds. And whatever dwells within will destroy the world of the living. When this Great Winter comes, Vaera... all of Westeros must stand against it. Together. I believe you two can unite the realms further, you are a light my Vaera. Your children are a beacon of your goodness. If this war comes and we are here, if the world of men is to survive, a Targaryen must be seated on the Iron Throne. A king or queen, strong enough to unite the realm against the cold and the dark. Aegon called his dream The Song of Ice and Fire."

"We I am strong enough." Vaera agreed leaning into Larys. "Literally."

"This secret... it's been passed from king to heir since Aegon's time. Now you must promise to carry it... and protect it. Promise me this. Promise me Vaera.'

"Would it not be better to warn people of what might come? Let the starks know and the wall?" Vaera countered. "So they can warn us if anything-"

"They are on lookout for things unseen." Viserys remarked. "Now my dear promise me."

"I promise."

"I promise." Larys echoed.

"Do you have your crown?"

"I keep it on the dresser." Vaera agreed moving to it. "I know its silly but-"

"It's perfect." Viserys assured.

It was very much a blur of men kneeling before her saying they would swear to follow and protect and be faithful to Viserys new chosen heir. Vaera remembered Rhaenyra's own ceremony and thought she looked so pretty, so powerful. Vaera wondered what she looked like. One look at Larys and she knew what he would say.

Beautiful.

' I, Viserys Targaryen, first of his name... King of the Andals, and the Rhoynar, and the First Men, Lord of the Seven Kingdoms, and Protector of the Realm, do hereby name... Vaera Targaryen Strong, princess of kings landing and heir to the Iron Throne.''

"Queen Vaera Strongaryen has a nice ring to it." Vaera added as Viserys placed her cookie crown on her head.

She would be strong enough to bare the weight of this, stronger than Rhaenyra could have been.

Strongaryen.