Foxwood Resort Casino and Mohegan Line partially reopen

Two federally recognized tribes with reservations in Connecticut, the Mashantucket Pequot Tribe State and the Mohegan Tribe, will begin reopening the reserved portions on June 1

Two federally recognized tribes with reservations in Connecticut, the Mashantucket Pequot Tribe State and the Mohegan Tribe, will begin reopening the reserved portions on June 1. As part of Phase I, Mashantucket Pequot will reopen part of its Foxwood Resort Casino and the Mashantucket tribe will reopen part of the Mashantucket Line to the public on Monday, June 1, 2020. Both resort destinations operate on sovereign land.

The two tribes worked together to establish new safety protocols and operational procedures for each accommodation's reopening guidelines to mitigate risks for both guests and staff.

Under the cooperative guidelines, each tribal country developed its own policies to address the unique requirements of its own residence. Each residence that complies with or exceeds the state's phased guidelines and safety protocols included protective equipment and physical distancing in its policies. Neither facility opens concert venues, buffets, or poker rooms, and its occupied restaurants will not be open for takeout only. Additionally, Foxwood Resort Casino and Mohegan Sun will be available only to Connecticut and Rhode Islanders. Outside of New York or Massachusetts marketing will not take place at either facility, nor out-of-state buses will be allowed.

"We are proud to work with the Mohegan Tribe to help Connecticut develop its most responsible plan to quickly and safely recover from the severe economic impact of this pandemic," said Rodney A. Butler, president of the Mashantucket Pequot Tribal Country. "As we prepare to reopen, the safety, health, and well-being of tribal communities, guests, team members, and local communities remain our top priorities. With the guidance of our Chief Medical Officer and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, we have made significant investments to strengthen our processes to adapt to the new normal challenges brought by the COVID-19 pandemic. Like many casinos that have successfully opened across the country, we are implementing industry best practices to provide a safe and enjoyable experience for everyone. Some operational changes will be evident with infrared temperature scanners installed at all entrances, guests will wear masks, and members of our team will wear appropriate PPE. Behind the scenes, disinfection of all common surfaces in progress, as well as the replacement of dice, tiles, and cards in use in table games, will be carried out at short intervals. On behalf of the Mashantucket Pequot Tribal Nation and the entire Foxwood team, we look forward to delivering a moment of joy and celebration to help us easily return to this new way of life through safe experiences and environments."

"The Marshantucket Pequets and Mohegan tribes have brought Connecticut home for hundreds of years. We have deep roots in our community and are fortunate to be able to bring in members of our neighborhood team and friends," said James Gesner, president of the Mohegan tribe. "The safety of these team members, neighbors, partners, and friends was at the forefront of the decisions we made, developing new guidelines for reopening that extended the strict safety policies already in place on the Mohegan line. We have spent the last 10 weeks taking special measures, including state-of-the-art, to protect the safety and health of everyone walking through the Mohegan line's door and to ensure the safety of our entire community. The new guidelines, which were shared with state officials a few weeks ago, are based on recommendations from experts both national and around the world, some of which are currently open or have been implemented at several other resorts across the country scheduled to open later this month. As we enter the "new normal," we welcome back the extended members of the Mohegan family and are excited to once again begin working with local partners and businesses to help revitalize the Connecticut economyIn addition to the above protocols, team members at each property will receive training on infectious disease (with a heavy focus on COVID-19) safety and sanitation protocols to further ensure guest and team member safety. More comprehensive training will be provided for team members with frequent guest contact including Housekeeping, Food & Beverage, Environmental Services, Hotel Operations, Gaming, Retail, Entertainment and Security.