Jesse Lingard pledged to show his best performance under coach Kim Ki-dong

Jesse Lingard (FC Seoul) vowed to show his best performance under coach Kim Ki-dong

 Jesse Lingard (FC Seoul) vowed to show his best performance under coach Kim Ki-dong.Lingard promised a better performance through an interview after the media open training held at GS Champions Park in Guri, Gyeonggi-do on the 23rd.

Lingard, who went on vacation to England after the third round (2-0 win) of Hana Bank K League 1 2024 against Jeju United on the 16th, said, "It was very good. I came here to see my family because the coach allowed me to take a vacation. I had a good mental rest. I think I need to prepare again (to resume the league)."

In this season, Seoul surprisingly recruited Lingard from Manchester United in the Premier League. Lingard, who played for the English national team at the World Cup, was at the center of attention.

After joining Seoul, Lingard replaced him in two games. In particular, he showed flashes of enthusiasm as a player who played in a high-quality league as a substitute for Team Jeju, but failed to participate in defense with strong determination.

Coach Kim pointed out in a press conference after the game, "I don't think it's a soccer player if a player who played for a few minutes doesn't play well, and if he doesn't play better than those who played for 90 minutes," and the remarks spread to the global community through the British media.

"I am not paying attention (to the fact that my remarks are reported by foreign media). I thought that I should talk louder as it would serve as an opportunity to publicize my name and Seoul to Europe as well. In fact, I was joking," Kim said.

"As a coach, I think we need to lead the same way, whether it be Lingard or young players. If you discriminate against a player just because he is a first-name player, you will have problems leading the team. I will continue to lead the team from the same standpoint," he said.

Lingard did not hide his gratitude for coach Kim Ki-dong's consideration.

"After that interview, the coach personally met me and fully explained to me that 'I didn't mean it,'" Lingard said. "I was a little bit like that at first, but (now) I always try to do my best. I think I have to try harder to match the coach's style."

Coincidentally, Lingard posted the phrase "The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will come" on his social networking service (SNS) during his vacation in the UK.

Some responded that Lingard might have shot Kim.

However, Lingard said, "I have nothing to do with soccer or the coach. It didn't mean anything," adding, "I usually walk by and take pictures if there are words that can motivate me. I took it because it was a good word, but nothing more."

Lingard said, "I have to admit that I need time because I haven't played in an official game for more than a year. Personally, I'm in a good situation right now," adding, "I keep going to the stadium even if it's not full-time. As much as the coach gives me time, I think it's up to me. I'm thinking about increasing the amount of training I need to do to increase my physical strength as soon as possible," hinting at his improved performance.

Meanwhile, Lingard said, "My daughter is aware that I am a soccer player. I don't know if she knows that I am a star player, but I think she is aware of the situation to some extent," adding, "My family including my daughter will come to Korea around summer."