"Yes?" Liana answered.

"This afternoon, I will be having a tea party." Aunt Darcy said as she handed Charles her plate. "You are welcome to attend. Otherwise, perhaps you would like to test your skates?"

"Isn't it peculiar for you to have a tea party the day after a funeral?" Liana asked, not realizing that she said it aloud. Aunt Darcy nodded.

"I believe so but they insisted."

"I see," Liana said, "then I would like to use my skates instead." Aunt Darcy hummed and nodded in acknowledgement.

"Perhaps those parties are no place for you anyway, seeing that we usually drone on about nonsense," she said, drinking more tea.

After breakfast, Liana went up to her bedroom to get her skates. She put them on to see if they fit and it was almost a perfect fit. She never figured out how Charles guessed her shoe size but were grateful that they fit. Liana walked around the room to practice her balance. When she gained enough confidence, she put on her winter coat and left the room.

There was at least a foot of snow on the ground but the whole landscape around the estate was a pale white. The sky was still a slate gray and the sun was nowhere in sight. Snowflakes still fell from the sky but not as much as yesterday. Slowly, Liana realized that if she wanted to ice skate, she would have to clear the snow off the lake. She then gave a loud sigh and began pushing snow away from the lake.

After about hour, Liana learned that her work proved futile. She only cleared a small portion of the lake, not enough to actually skate, and the snow started falling harder than earlier. She would clear some snow and the new flakes would take its place. Liana eventual gave up and went back inside.

Liana walked in to see that the tea party was still in full session in the parlor room. She stopped by the doorframe when she heard voices that she didn't recognize.

"Darcelle," the first voice started, clicking her tongue, "You're always in those books."

"I enjoy reading." Liana heard her aunt respond in an annoyed tone.

"You can't be too wrapped up in literature." She heard another voice say, "Perhaps that's why you're not married to this day." Liana had wondered why she never saw Aunt Darcy's husband. It was because he never existed.

"Or perhaps I do not to wish to be married," Aunt Darcy said in way that sounded like she was giving a suggestion. "And I do not wish to have this conversation. I'm in mourning. My sister and her husband just died and you want to discuss my marital status?" Aunt Darcy then looked over to the door Liana was standing by and sighed. "Liana, dear? Would you like join us?" Liana very much wanted to say no but she knew her aunt knew she was there and couldn't refuse so she walk into the doorway. The party consisted of five older women other than Aunt Darcy sitting around, sipping tea and enjoying the other refreshments. "Liana, please, don't stand in the doorway. Come sit down." Liana nodded and took a seat next to aunt.

"Hello, dear," one of the women said to Liana, extending her hand, "Abigail Graham. Nice to meet you." Liana took the hand and shook it. Mrs. Graham was a plump brunette who looked about 40 with chocolate eyes to match. She had a very stern look to her face with made her like a no-nonsense type of person.

"Nice to meet you too," Liana replied. "I'm Liana Winters."

"Liana..." Mrs. Graham repeated. "What an interesting name."

"I was going to be named Elliana," Liana explained, "but my mother liked Liana more."

"Hmm," Mrs. Graham hummed in thought.

"Your family seems to like names that are...different," Another woman added then leaned over to Liana to shake her hand. "I'm Ethel, Ethel Campbell."