Chapter 1 - Don't Cry

Start from the beginning

"Giyu, there was also another reason why I wanted to bring you here. As you know, today is the late Flower Hashira, Kanae Kocho's passing. Her death has affected us in many different ways; even Sanemi was a bit shaken from her death. But the person who was the most affected is Shinobu. Giyu, I fear that she isn't doing too well today. Her crow reported that she was unavailable today. If you may, would you please comfort her for today, Giyu Tomioka?" The master explained in a somber tone.

"Master, I doubt someone like me would be able to comfort her, I'm not the one that you should be asking."

"I see, Giyu. You will come to realize that you have a greater influence on people than you would think." The Master concluded.

Giyu pondered on what the Master meant by 'You will come to realize that you have a greater influence on people than you would think'

Giyu was walking out of the Ubuyashiki estate when he remembered he had an appointment with Kocho.

"Tomioka-san, please come to the estate for weekly checkups," was what she told him a while back, and today fell under the day for the weekly checkup.

It took him a few minutes to walk to the estate. When he entered, he was greeted by Aoi Kanzaki, who was learning medicine under Kocho.

"Water Pillar-sama, is your checkup today?" Aoi asked Hashira.

Giyu nodded, and Aoi told him that Shinobu wasn't available for the checkup and because Aoi's skills weren't as good as Shinobu's, the checkup would have to be postponed to a later date.

"Is Kocho sick?" Giyu asked Aoi. He wasn't sure why the Insect Hashira wasn't available for the checkup, so he assumed she must have come down with a flu or some sickness.

"Yes, Water Pillar-sama, she got sick during a mission and will need some rest," she lied. It was because she couldn't tell the Water Pillar the true reason why she wasn't available.

'If Kocho's sick, then I should go check up on her,' Giyu thought to himself. Without saying a word, he started walking to Shinobu's room.

"Water Pillar-sama, where are you going?"

"....." He didn't respond.

Aoi realized he was going to Shinobu's room but decided to let him. She knew that maybe Giyu could make her feel better.

As the sun dipped below the horizon, casting shadows across the estate, Giyu found himself standing outside Shinobu's room. He hesitated, unsure of how to proceed. But the sound of muffled sobs from within convinced him to do something

Gently, he knocked on the door, "Kocho" he called softly.

The door creaked open, revealing Shinobu's tear-stained face. "Ah, Tomioka-san, i'm not feeling very well so could we do the check up tomorrow?" she asked, her voice attempting to mask her pain with a forced cheeriness.

Giyu's heart clenched at the sight of her sorrow, his resolve solidifying. Without a word, he stepped forward and enveloped her in a gentle embrace.

Shinobu stiffened at first, surprised by Giyu's sudden display of affection. But as his warmth enveloped her, she found herself melting into his embrace, tears flowing freely from her eyes.

"T-tomioka-san you shouldn't be here." she said as she silently sobbed

"That doesn't matter,Kocho, why were you crying?" Giyu questioned her softly, his voice barely above a whisper.

Then it hit him. Today was the anniversary of Kanae's passing.

"Is it because of... your sister's death?"