Chapter Eighteen ~ Returned

Prince Gabriel sat at the table with me, he was eating and drinking wine. I turned and watched Princess Cadence sulking at her table across the ballroom. Something didn't go as according to plan. Seeing as he wasn't looking at her and she looked upset, I was surprise to see my spirits rise. I shook my head. I was going to be in big trouble if I don't get myself back home soon. I knew I needed to get away but as I watched Prince Gabriel again, I knew that deep inside, I wanted to stay. It was stupid but I wanted to stay...for him.

I just have to get a lock...a lock for my heart. I had to stay strong so I won't fall. Falling would be my greatest fall, especially with him. I was not falling, just so you know, but I felt like I was near the cliff. I looked away from him and I stood up. I looked at all the people dancing and talking in the ballroom and I just knew that I was not a part of this world. It would be wrong if I was linked to a prince, me, a peasant linked to a prince, romantically. If I was linked to him romantically, and not as a friend, all of these royals would look down on Prince Gabriel and I couldn't do that to him. Well that is if they all already know that I was a peasant.

I begun to walk away. If I were to watch myself from getting closer to the cliff, I had to start ignoring the cause for me that would make me jump and fall. I heard him calling me. I had to get away from him.

"Ezra, where are you heading?" Prince Gabriel asked.

I didn't answer.

"Ezra, wait."

I walked around those who were dancing and tried to disappear in the crowd. I saw Prince Gabriel's guard and I waved at him. Even though Prince Gabriel was here already, in the ballroom, I mean, his guard still looked over us, over me.

"Yes, Miss Ezra," he said.

"Find me a dance partner, now," I said. This would keep Prince Gabriel away for a little while...well if he has decided to interrupt the dance.

The guard nodded and quickly found me a partner. I was surprised by his skills, well what did you expect from a royal guard. He stepped aside as my new partner took my hand. I noticed Prince Gabriel behind him. He had just gotten through a couple, well push them aside and then he noticed my hand in my partner's hand. He looked at my dance partner. His eyes trailed down to our hands held together again and then he glared at the back of my partner's head once again. My dance partner didn't felt the burning stare. I ignored Prince Gabriel and looked at my dance partner in the eye.

"I am Prince Geoff and you are?"

"I am Miss Ezra, your Highness," I responded.

We had begun to sway a little but as I looked over Prince Geoff's shoulder, Prince Gabriel still stood there. He looked at me, a confused expression on his face. I looked away from him, as hard as it was, and smiled at Prince Geoff.

We have moved away from the confused Prince Gabriel and I started to relax. I didn't noticed how tense I was. Prince Geoff talked a lot, he gave me a few compliments and then started to talk about his kingdom. He never mentioned the name but I believe it was because he was distracted by something behind me.

"Pardon me but who is your date?" he asked me.

"Why would you ask that?" I cursed myself. "I mean my date is Prince Gabriel." I shouldn't had responded back to him. I should keep this from my instructor.

"As expected. You know I have heard of the stories the ladies tell about him. It is not a happy story. I'm curious and please excuse my rudeness but how long have you known Prince Gabriel?"

"About three weeks but I haven't gotten to know him until after the first week," I replied.

"I see. You know I'm surprise he has actually taken interest in his dates," Prince Geoff said. "He never looked interested in his dates but you, you're a different story."