- 1 -

- Charlotte Woods -

- Charlotte Woods -

Our mentor, Luke Eldredge's main goal of putting us against each other, grooming us to despise one another, had completely succeeded. It was a mutual distaste–being the only thing we had ever known. I remember a time, a time where I had been naive enough to think that we may evolve into great companions. But that thought failed miserably.

Finn wanted nothing to do with me. I had always been great at reading people's demeanor, yet I couldn't read his. He had a wall up, one that prevented me from seeing him for who he truly was. The only thing that seemed to be unhidden was his looks. He was always beautiful, seemingly the perfect guy. Everyone at school was always captivated by his face. I knew it was nonsense, the way he acted around people was never really him. He simply wanted to be liked. I thank my guardians every day for removing him from my life. I haven't seen him in a couple years, but my mind can't seem to stop thinking about him. He's engraved in my brain–that beautiful, alluring, selfish, obnoxious piece of–

"Charlotte," I hear my sister call for me. She barrels through the door and I quickly shove my diary under the comforter. I nearly fall off the bed as she runs and jumps onto the edge. "You got a package and it's labeled as 'confidential'. What did you order?" She asks as she hands me the small box.

I give her a confused look as I take it from her hands. My eyes move to the sending address and low and behold, it's from Luke. I nonchalantly move my hand over the name while shrugging my shoulders.

    "It's simply a book, Meredith, not the end of the world." I remark and she nods with slight skepticism as her blonde hair falls into her light blue eyes.

Sometimes I wish I had inherited our mother's traits. I have pale green eyes, and my hair is a deep brown. If you saw Mere and I walking on the street, I doubt you'd be able to tell that we're related; even sisters. Our personalities are so different as well–she would never pick up a book.

"Okay, okay," she laughs while backing off the bed sarcastically. I watch as she pauses before standing with her arms crossed. I'm guessing she has something else to say, but her hesitancy alarms me. "I was really hoping you would let me borrow a few clothes."
"What for?" I ask while leaning back on my headboard–better than I thought she'd ask. "You have enough clothes for a century."
"Yes, but there's a party tonight and I really need something to wear." I raise my eyebrows while looking at her and she whines once more. "Please, Lottie."
"Fine." I exasperate dramatically. "But only if you stop calling me that ridiculous name." I throw a pair of pants at her and she smiles as she leaves the room. I glance over at the package sitting next to me.

After Luke had decided Finn and I were ready to go on by ourselves, he cut contact. You'd think that your mentor would still care about you after training you for so many years. I've only been on a few missions without him, but it still doesn't feel the same. I miss when he used to be proud of me for saving someone's life or merely being a good hero. Before we left, he was always too drunk to even notice.