"By all means," I offered. "Have what you would like. If anything, please discard the scraps you do not want." 

"Oh, my stars, Astra! You really know how to make a woman happy!" Rosie sang much to Velvet's jealousy. 

"I'll say," Carmilla murmured as she pecked my cheek. I pulled my lover along while the other two started to dismember carcasses. The brand-new skylight an angel made really brightened the place up as we stepped through the front door. A delightful hum escaped me. I think I would make good use of that. I hoped that it did not hurt the greenhouse upstairs though. 

"So," I hummed as Carmilla looked at the damage alongside me. "The angel that jumped, huh? Has a nice ring to it? Does it have an equally entertaining story?" Carmilla's shoulders tensed at the questions I wanted to ask. I waited patiently and kept a few feet away from her. I figured the more space, the better. Instead, I paid attention to the books that huddled around the rafters. Their wings were tucked away and they trembled slightly.

"My daughters and I died around the same time," Carmilla's voice trembled with emotion.  "I used to be a famous ballerina in life. I loved to dance. Loved to be on stage with the music and the beautiful masterpieces people made for the performances. Sadly, I was married to a drunken tonto. That bastardo owed the mafia so much money. So much more than I could pay for his mistakes. 

In the end, I refused to pay for anymore of his mistakes." 

A bitter chuckle escaped her lips. 

"I guess that was my fatal mistake. 

I remember the night as clear as if it just happened. I was going to the dressing room after one of my better performances. My daughters were there because they enjoyed coming and watching from the sidelines.  Well, my husband owed to a very powerful mafia boss of the time. One that had drugged me and my children and tied us to props right before setting the building on fire. I do not know why my daughters had been sent to hell. To be honest, I blamed my idioto husband. I stool at heaven's pearly gates and waited for them. And waited, waited, waited. Reality hit me at some point that they were not coming up, so I chose to jump down. This world was not heaven without them.  So, I jumped. I chose to go down there and protect my daughters. 

Lucifer found me first. He was so shocked at a fallen angel that willingly chose this fate. He helped me find my daughters. Taught me how to make weapons out of angelic steel to sell to the local denizens.  He helped me as much as he could, and I owe him everything for that. But, yes, I suppose that would be what angels would call me." 

I stared at Carmilla for a long moment. She seemed at peace as she spoke. If she regretted any of it, it did not show on her face. As I walked over toward Carmilla, I started to hear something akin to music in my ears. 

"He did it for us. The ultimate sacrifice." 

I placed a hand gently on Carmilla's shoulder. The fallen angel turned to me. Tears brimmed her crimson eyes. 

"He gave me his trust and look how he paid the price." 

I pulled her into my arms and held her as tight as I could. 

"This bloodshed could have been avoided if I convinced Heaven to work together." 

We stood in the center of a demolished library together. Her tears slowly fell onto my shoulder as we stood there for a long moment. 

"I took a hotel and I destroyed it." 

I pulled away just enough to hold Carmilla's face. I used my thumb and wiped away each bulb of water that fell.