present: twelve.

Caden’s POV. - now.

“Oh - there we go.” Roan groaned as she supported me through the corridors of the hotel.

I slumped into her, dragging my feet and struggling to keep my eyes open. My tongue felt thick, my brain hazy and my heart beat overtime. I wasn’t sure if that was the alcohol or if it was due to Roan being this close.

Her arm was around my waist, fingers digging into my rubs involuntarily as she held my wrist with her other hand, which was flung over her shoulders.

“What room did you have?” She panted, clearly struggling to hold my weight up. 

But I was so fucking plastered.

I didn’t plan on getting this drunk, but being around Roan was so overwhelming it made me feel like I needed to cope. And I did, in the worst way. I wasn’t sure why I thought drinking would make it easier to be around her. The nerves didn’t subside, nor did the never-ending urge to be closer to her. 

We danced the entire night, getting slightly more familiar again with our hands on each other. She held them around my shoulders during a slow dance while I slipped my arms around her waist to tug her as close as I could. She was warm and soft, and my chest felt so tight when she was that close to me.

I could close my eyes and imagine we were young again. 

But the evening ended with the lights turning on and the DJ packing up his gear. Brianna was exhausted and Tim had to ask me seven times to leave because I refused to do so. It was safe to say me and Roan were the last ones at the wedding. And Roan was only there because she was worried I wouldn’t find the way up to my room.

And she was right.

The corridor was spinning and I puffed out a breath, “It’s the last one.” I breathed, answering her question. Roan winced again, “Okay, almost there. Key?”

“Pocket.” I slurred. Roan didn’t respond and nudged me into the wall once we reached the door. She wiped her forehead with the back of her hand and then opened up her palm, “Come on.” She sounded stern and I blinked at her, seeing that she was slightly done with my drunkenness.

I licked my lip and blindly patted around my pockets until finding the card I needed, handing it to Roan. She quickly opened up the door and flicked on the lights, yelping when I fell into her from behind and she glared at me a bit, “Jesus christ, Caden.” She mumbled in disbelief, pushing my shoulders until I dropped down on the bed.

I blinked up at the ceiling with a grunt when I was finally on the bed. I didn’t know how long Roan and I actually struggled to get here. I heard her walking around the room and pushed myself up with much effort, seeing her standing by the desk with her back to me.

Her hair was still up in the clip but more and more strands fell from it, framing her face. Her dress had a few wrinkles and I watched as she popped her hip to the side to give her heeled feet a rest before I saw her fumbling with my phone and the charger.

“Okay.” She breathed, turning around, “Your phone is charging here, please text me when you wake up.”

“W-Wait.” I frowned, slurring with a little effort, “Aren’t you staying?”

Roan raised her brows, “Staying? No, I’m going home.”

“You can have the bed.” I tried but Roan chuckled, “Right, as if you’ll be able to lay on the couch all night without falling from it.”

I watched as she quickly checked her own phone and I attempted to kick off my shoes, “Well, then we’ll both take the bed. I’ll stay on my side, promise.” I exhaled. Roan pressed her lips together and shook her head, “I’m going home, Caden.” She repeated.