𝟬𝟰, meeting the in-laws

❁...... chapter four ......❁
| UG: meeting the in-laws |

————————

ALONG with being the girlfriend, not real, came meeting the family. Serena, after being harassed to come to Belly's birthday dinner by the girl herself and Jeremiah, finally agreed. She was in her closet, rooting around for a half-decent dress that didn't look bummy in front of adults.

Her eyes fell on a dress she had stolen from her mom a few years back. It was strapless, black, and soft with white lines of flowers spreading out across its surface. She assumed it was pretty old based on the fact that she had been admiring it since she was four years old.

Would it fit?

Thankfully, her mother wasn't too skinny otherwise the dress would have been squeezing Serena rather uncomfortably. However, it flowed nicely down to her shin as it was a midi dress.

"How's it looking?" Haley asked from on the dresser. She was in her bedroom, waiting for her parents to call her downstairs so she could leave.

"Cute," Serena answered, tilting her head at the sight of it. Looking back in the mirror, she wasn't sold. Yes, she looked beautiful but something was missing.

"Is cute appropriate for a dinner party?"

Serena shrugged, pulling at the top of the dress. "I don't know. I might be doing too much. Or maybe not enough."

And then it hit her.

Literally, Tilly, from the doorway, launched something at her head with full force. "Wear it. Hi, Haley."

Serena looked down, finding it in herself to not immediately begin swinging. On the floor was a waistcoat crocheted by her sister with lace patterns and buttons to finish it off.

Silently, she picked it up off the floor and slid the fabric around her body.

Now she was ready.

Serena thanked her sister immensely, grabbing her kitten heels on the way out.

She danced to her car, hopping to the beat of crickets in the trees as she put her shoes on one by one. In her small bag, she held her phone, charger, lip gloss, and a deck of cards because why not?

"Okay, I'm on my way out." Blowing kisses back at the phone, she hung up on Haley and continued until she was finally in the vehicle.

The drive was short and painstakingly long at the same time. Certain circumstances made her meet with the Fishers all the more stomach-twisting.

As she pulled into the driveway, the tremors in her hands began to still. This was the point in her panic when time stopped and all sound flooded away.

Don't wuss out now, she thought to herself, swallowing the fear in her throat and finally emerging from the car.

She quickly walked up the gravel, eager to rid herself of the temptation of getting back in the car and speeding off. The door grew bigger until she was face to face with the bell.