Prologue

"We don't need another," Morax said steadily, his focus solely on the map in front of them.

Guizhong crossed her arms, blue eyes boring into his as she said. "We need a scout. A god who has an aerial view of Guili Plains and everything surrounding it. You're powerful, Morax, but we do need another to act as a guard."

It was a logical argument, as usual, and Morax decided to reply very maturely by ignoring her and stared at the map, silently noting the positions of the striking jewel-red pins that marked it.

"One of your adepti," Guizhong persisted. "Just one. Please?"

She looked at him pleadingly, and Morax sighed. He did not like going to his adepti for help, but as Guizhong once told him, being their 'leader' didn't mean that he was invincible.

"Fine," he said, "I'll get Alatus."

Guizhong looked up, surprised. "Really? Him? Isn't he one of the younger adeptus you have?"

Well, that was half true...

But it would be an interesting day indeed when he went to Moon Carver or Mountain Shaper for assistance, and hell would freeze over before he asked Cloud Retainer or Madame Ping for help.

Gods, he would rather die...

"Never mind," she said when she saw his expression. "Anyways, what about that other darling? Ganyu?"

Morax winced. Ah yes, the half-qilin. The only one who acted properly terrified around Xiao (That was what he called him), while the latter's yaksha brethren laugh around him and goof around like siblings, while the other adepti ruffle his hair and talk to him like a parent would their child. He was pretty sure that putting the two together on guard duty would be-

"No," Morax said sternly. "That would be too much for both of them to handle."

"Hmph," Guizhong said, a brush in hand. "In that case, go and call Alatus, please." She added.

Morax obliged and went to go find the troubled yaksha.

---

He found the teal and black-haired adeptus hanging out with Ganyu, though 'hanging out' gave one the impression of tea parties and picnics and generally, generally, one individual enjoying the company of another. With Xiao and Ganyu, it was more like putting up with each other and making polite conversation until someone rescued them from their tortured state.

In Xiao's case, that someone was usually Morax.

"Xiao," he called. "Come here."

The yaksha obliged, looking only too happy to leave his adeptus companion behind.

"I have a task for you," he began. Xiao perked up, his wide gold eyes giving the god his full attention. "Can you guard Liy- Guili Plains for me? Just for awhile, so me and Guizhong can get a vague idea of the threats surveying the area."

Xiao nodded, forever solemn, while Ganyu dawdled behind him, looking pitifully lost.

"Um- Lord Morax," she said, her voice small and fragile. "May I also guard the plains for awhile?"

Morax stopped. If Ganyu herself was volunteering...

"What," Xiao barked, turning to look at the half-qilin. "Why-"

"Well, as Xiao can't manage the entire area by himself-" Morax started.

"Yes I can!" 

"-You may," he allowed.

Ganyu beamed at Xiao and offered Zhongli a graceful smile that reminded him of her mother, a qilin-adeptus. While he hadn't known her very well, she left behind a vague impression of gentle smiles and calming aura's, much like Guizhong.

Morax trudged back to his 'abode', thinking that Guizhong was going to love this new development.

Author's Note!!!

1. Xiao and Ganyu's interaction can be seen as romantic or platonic as you please.

2. Ningguang is appearing next chapter!