The Surprise

Ross Pov

I hurried to lunch,Eirlys would kill me if I was late.Besides I had a surprise for her after lunch.

'Heyyy Eirlys, missing me already?' I said as soon as I spotted her in the cafeteria.She greeted me with the usual hug.Most people mistook us for a couple.Almost always. We'd been together all our lives so it was normal for us.

'Uh huh.What have u bought?'

We sat down at our regular table.Surpisingly, Joaquin,the biggest jerk sat at the table beside us. Shouldn't he be at the lawn smoking something or the other?

For some reason Eirlys froze.'You ok?' I asked.'Yeah,can we switch seats?'
I sat down at her seat .She was hiding something from me.But if she doesn't want me to know ,I won't push her.

We ate her pancakes and my burger like a pack of wolves.Nothing quite like sharing lunch.

'So, you're looking preoccupied.You made a girlfriend?'she asked.Though she didn't look very happy about the gf part.

'Nah.I only have my eyes for you' I said jokingly.Yet within myself I felt like I wasn't joking.

' You'll come to the welcome program,right?'I asked her and she nodded.

' I'll wash up and meet you at the program 'she said as she began to leave.
I held her hand as she motioned to leave.
'You know ,if something is bothering you ,you can rely on me',I assured her.She gave me a small smile and left.

I just want, no ,need her to know that I'll be there no matter what.

As for her surprise,I grabbed my guitar and sheets, hurrying to the venue.

'You ready,Ross?' asked Miss Pillsbury.

'Yes ma'am 'I said .

I am going to perform onstage.This will be my surprise to Eirlys.

This is frightening.Everyone has their eyes on me.I spot Eirlys in the crowd, pleasantly shocked to see me onstage.

'....... and I could love you forever.Be yours as long as the stars.For all I could say , I'm falling deeper in your eyes,deeper and deeper until I drown.',I ended with a low note and soft guitar music.

I had composed this song ,my very first song.All this time,I had locked eyes with her.It helped me calm be nerves .
Now,however,I narrowed my eyes at Joaquin who was ogling Eirlys like she was his prey.

She'd behaved strangely at his sight ,too.I guess she's growing up.Can't say I'm happy about it,but I'm no one to stop her.

At present though,she smile,her dimples showing.She stood up and clapped.An idea struck my mind.

Grabbing the mike I said,'I Know growing up is different than what we expected.But Eirlys, you've been my best friend for as long as I remember.And I want you to know that no matter what, I'm always there for you.And to all my classmates and friends,All the best for this upcoming year'

At this note I stepped down the stage .Miss Pillsbury found me and said ,
'You rocked it.'I thanked her for her support and joined Eirlys in the crowd.
I enjoyed the rest of the program with her.

She's gonna make a hell lotta mistakes,and perhaps break my heart.But I want to savor every moment with her.And of course shied her for as long as I can.