Charming As A Candy Cane | Chapter 13 | Book 2 Ch 7

An hour later, the group gathered in front of Flourish and Blots, and a banner on the windows proclaiming:

GILDEROY LOCKHART

will be signing copies of his Autobiography

MAGICAL ME

today 12:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.

     " I think this might be a fire hazard," Arwen muttered as they got pushed and pulled this way and that through the mass of witches in the bookstore." How does a man like that gain so much popularity that some of the most mild-mannered people I've ever met act like this?"

     " What, not your type?" Fred asked jokingly, actively being pushed in the opposite direction of their conversation.

     " I'm not particularly into older blonde men," she replied, trying to practically swim her way back to her friends - none of who were managing to stay together for long as they were quickly shoved apart again.

     " Calmly, please, ladies," the man by the door called in." Don't push, there - mind the books, now..."

      The second years popped up in the middle of their group, being the last of the Weasleys and Friends to show up.

     " Oh, there you are, good," Mrs. Weasley said, sighing in relief." We'll be able to see him in a minute..."

     Their group got jostled again as a reporter bumped into Ron.

     " Out of the way, there! This is for the Daily Prophet-"

     " Big deal," Ron muttered, reasonably more concerned about his own foot.

     Having probably been the first words of common sense he'd heard all day, Lockhart looked up at this, his eyes glancing over Ron and instead landing - predictably - on Harry.

      He lept to his feet." It can't be, Harry Potter?"

     The pushing and shoving got instantly worse, only this time it was to make way for Harry as Lockhart grabbed onto his arm and tugged him to his signing desk as the photographer took even more pictures.

     " Nice big smile, Harry! Together, you and I are worth the front page!" Once the photos were done, he waved for silence." Ladies and Gentlemen, what an extraordinary moment this is! The perfect moment for me to make a little announcement I've been sitting on for some time: When young Harry here stepped into Flourish and Blotts today-"

     George let out a barely concealed groan of annoyance at the fact he had to turn that into a story too.

     "- He only wanted to present him now, free of charge. He had no idea that he would shortly be getting much, much more than my book, Magical Me. He and his schoolmates will, in fact, be getting the real magical me. Yes, ladies and gentlemen, I have great pleasure and pride in announcing that this September, I will be taking up the post of Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry."

     There was a near-defining applause following that announcement as the Weasley children and friends took that as a chance to slip out of the crowd and into the less crowded aisles of bookshelves.

     " Don't worry, he'll be gone by the end of the year," George muttered to Arwen, not sounding too enthusiastic about the information they just got.

     " Come on," Mr. Weasley said, stumbling over to them." Let's go find your younger siblings."

     The four of them stared across the ocean of middle-aged witches before immediately groaning in annoyance realizing what they'd have to cross through.

     " Ron! What are you doing? It's too crowded in here, let's go outside-"

     " Well, well, well, Arthur Weasley."

     All of the Weasleys, as well as Harry, Hermione, and Arwen all froze at the voice and the man who came with it.

     " Lucious," Mr. Weasley greeted, not even slightly trying to disguise his annoyance at the man's appearance.

     " Busy at the Ministry, I hear. All those raids... I hope they're paying you overtime?" He reached a hand into Ginny's cauldron, pulling out one of the many books piled in there."... Obviously not. Dear me, what's the use of a disgrace to the name of wizard if they don't pay you well for it."

     Mr. Weasley's face darkened and blushed at the same time." We have a very different idea of what disgraces the name of wizard, Malfoy."

     " Clearly. The company you keep, Weasley... And I thought your family could sink no lower-"

     Chaos erupted.

     Mr. Weasley lept at the older Malfoy - Arwen hadn't quite realized until that moment that the younger version was present as well - into the bookshelves behind him that nearly fell over until Arwen reached a braid up to steady it.

     " Get him, Dad!"

     " No, Arthur, no!"

     " Gentlemen, please- please."

     All the bystanders immediately rushed to see what was happening, running over the Weasley family to catch a glimpse of the fight.

     " Break it up, there, gents, break it up-"

     The crowd was forcefully parted as Hagrid came stomping over, grabbing the two middle-aged men and pulling them apart.

     Lucious Malfoy stumbled to his feet." Here, girl - take your book - it's the best your father can give you."

     He marched out of the bookstore with Draco trailing behind him.

     " You should've ignored him, Arthur," Hagrid advised." Rotten ter the core, the whole family, everyone knows that - no Malfoy's worth listenin' ter - bad blood, that's what it is - come n now - let's get outta here."

     They quickly filed out of the store as well, heading down the alleyway in hopes of avoiding anymore confrontation.

     " A fine example to set for your children," Mrs. Weasley grumbled with barely concealed rage." Brawling in public. What Gilderoy Lockhart must've thought-"

     " He was pleased," Fred interrupted." Didn't you hear him as we were leaving? He was asking that bloke from the Daily Prophet if he'd be able to work the fight into his report - said it was all publicity."

     This did absolutely nothing to ease her anger, and the rest of the trip home was done in near silence with those who did know Mrs. Weasley trying not to tick her off anymore and those who didn't being too nervous to say anything.

     Needless to say, the rest of that day was very tense around the Burrow.

A/N: Sorry about not having updated this story since JANUARY but, in my defense, I was busy with college. Now that I'm back home for summer break, I can resume working on this and, with any luck, will have it wrapped up by the end of the summer... If I don't have any luck, I'll be continuing it again over Christmas Break.

But, as per usual,

I hope you have an absolutely wonderful rest of your day/Month/Until I update next!

- Alex