𝟎𝟏𝟐

Everett, Bucky, and Kashim walked the streets of Riga with Sam as he frantically talked to his sister on the phone. Everett had never met Sarah, but she had been the one to call Everett about the new Captain America. Sam had two nephews as well, and Everett would sooner die than let Karli get anywhere near those boys.

Bucky looked at Sam in confusion. "What happened?"

Sam sighed, his shoulders tight. "Karli called Sarah, she threatened my nephews."

"Shit," Kashim muttered softly. Everett turned her gaze to him and saw his eyebrows furrowed. "Sam, do you need to me to go there? I can protect them, be your eyes and ears over there."

Everett's eyes widened at his offer, and she felt her heart swell. Kashim barely knew Sam, and he was willing to go halfway across the world to protect his family.

Everett didn't know much about it, but she could swear she was falling in love with this man.

Sam shook his head. "No, Kash, but thank you. We need you here, Ev needs you here."

Kashim looked at Everett and noticed the soft blush coating her cheeks. But then his gaze drifted to her hands, and his heart dropped.

She had been picking at them again. Her nail beds were an angry red, sensitive, and raw. There were scratches down her hands, and she kept tugging on her fingers. He cursed silently at himself for not noticing how bad it had gotten. He quickly took one of her hands in his and pressed a soft kiss to the inside of her palm. Her sharp green eyes shifted to him again, and she took notice of her hand in his. Her gaze dropped to the floor and Kashim dropped his arm while keeping her hand in his. He leaned closer to her to whisper in her ear.

"It's okay, Ev, I'm just worried about you."

His soft voice flowed through her and calmed her racing thoughts. She nodded softly, continuing to follow the two men in front of them. Sam ended the call, and their pace slowed.

"Karli wants to meet. She left a contact number."

The second Sam spoke those words, his phone chimed. All four pairs of eyes snapped to his cell. Karli provided instructions on where to meet, and Everett desperately tried to control the sinking feeling in her chest.

Sam looked at Bucky. "She said come alone." Everett scoffed, skeptical.

"There's no way in hell that we're letting you do this alone, Sam. No fucking way." Everett's voice left no room for argument.

Here we go.

-------------------------------------

They had suited up and entered the space Karli had designated for their meet-up. Everett had kept the suit that Tony had made for her all those years ago, grateful that she did. She had also had Tony's protégé, Peter, help her keep up with maintenance and updates on the suit. She had braided her dark hair back and twisted it into a low bun, all the way out of her face. It was one of the many things that Natasha had taught her in there time as fugitives.

"Karli!" Sam's voice was angry, and it echoed around the walls. All four of them stalked into the space, looking around for the redheaded girl. Sam's eyes caught her first.

"She's up on the second level," Everett spoke softly. Their group made their way towards her, and Everett couldn't help but notice as the sinking feeling in her chest got worse.

Sam stalked towards Karli, fury in every step. If Everett knew one thing about Sam Wilson, it was that he didn't play when it came to his family.